Godzilla: King of the Monsters

42% Rotten Tomatometer Score42%
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters delivers spectacular kaiju action -- and reaffirms that cutting-edge effects are still no substitute for a good story.
    Oliver JonesObserver
    The classic face-off arrives in an emotional vacuum rather than as an earned catharsis; the big fight never feels like a payoff.
    David EdelsteinNew York Magazine/Vulture
    This thing is an unholy mess.
    Matt Zoller SeitzRogerEbert.com
    Its errors fall mainly under the heading of failing to get out of its own way, and its imperfections are compensated by magnificence.
    Matthew RozsaSalon.com
    "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" doesn't need an original story: Like all kaijū movies, it only requires awesome monsters, epic fight scenes and some subtle social commentary.
    Charlotte O'SullivanLondon Evening Standard
    At... moments you feel like you're in the trippiest of David Attenborough docs.
    Anthony LaneNew Yorker
    Dougherty isn't quite sure whether to wow us with the hulking immensity of the action scenes or to wag his finger at us for the environmental hubris of our species.
  • Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Damond FudgeKCCI (Des Moines, IA)
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters ... [amps] up the monster action and even [gives] us a framing plot that's just as good as Kong and better than the one in Godzilla.
    Matt CipollaThe Spool
    Each monster, each crash, and each blow are so isolated that the film doesn't feel light on its feet but void of weight instead.
    Julian Lytleidobi.com
    I'll say this is probably going to be one of the best event movies of the year. It succeeds in the scale of what this movie should be and what fans hoped it would be.
    Damian LevyJamaica Gleaner
    Legendary Pictures seems to have heard the outcry of audiences everywhere and have seen fit to produce Godzilla: King of the Monsters, a film that knows no sense of the word 'restraint.'