Godzilla: King of the Monsters

, 43% Rotten Tomatometer Score
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters delivers spectacular kaiju action -- and reaffirms that cutting-edge effects are still no substitute for a good story.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Tim CogshellFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    The sound effects in this movie are extraordinary. That roar that Godzilla does? I gotta tell you that I kind of love that. I might make it the dial tone on my phone.
    Esther ZuckermanThrillist
    The cast is stacked with otherwise brilliant actors stuck in a borderline incomprehensible plot and forced to play second fiddle to monsters whose powers of wonder wear off fast.
    Wenlei MaNews.com.au
    Sometimes you have to be honest about the movie you really are - smashy smash. If you can reconcile that, then it's not so awful.
    Kim NewmanSight and Sound
    It's typical of the film to set up a major sequence in which flying monsters Mothra and Rodan dog-fight, only to cut that short and follow Mark as he struggles to open some airplane doors.
    Sara Michelle FettersMovieFreak.com
    I thoroughly enjoyed director Michael Dougherty's Godzilla: King of the Monsters. It made me smile.
    Udita JhunjhunwalaLivemint
    It's just a big-budget waste of resources that weakly attempts some eco-warrior gibberish and leans heavily on disaster movie clichés.
    Emma WolfeSpookyAstronauts
    The story is a little bit of hollow it's a little bit orced... but - big but!- Godzilla makes up for it. The return of Godzilla and all of these friends is pretty amazing and pretty epic.
    Mike MassieGone With The Twins
    An epitomic example of bombastic spectacle unable to overtake terrible storytelling.
    Charles KoplinskiReel Talk with Chuck and Pam
    A surprisingly dull affair as far too much time is spent on a truly ridiculous plot involving the freeing of Godzilla's rivals and far too little on epic monster throw downs.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Dan BuffaKSDK News (St. Louis)
    After a subpar 2014 effort, Mike Dougherty keeps the focus on the monsters during this sequel, which makes for a lot of fun and a breezy pace.