Gretel & Hansel

Its Hansel and Gretel not the opposite. Also a little boring movie.
    There are some stories that wasn't meant to be retold. This film is one of them.
    The filming was not good. The narration boring. The editing awful - that cat must have been travel sick. Slow. Don't waste your money.
    The movie sucks, it's generic and why there's a black person in the old Europe as a hunter ???
    Very moody photography, intriguing visuals and a strong story. Completely watchable from start to finish.
    Gretel & Hansel is a film that entirely squandered its strong potential due to its very weak storyline. The visuals are fantastic – the production design is splendid, the cinematography is phenomenal and the imagery is sometimes quite ominous and even artistic. However, the characterization is very mediocre and only the mid act was very strong with the other two being quite disappointing.
    When I first watched the movie I was surprised at the slow build and minimalist acting. After reading more about the style of film making of Oz Perkins and its purpose, I rewatched the movie and absolutely loved it. Really a modern classic.
    Oz Perkins really uses a unique style throughout this that gives it a fresh look with eerie vibes that stand out so much more than most contemporary horror films and I really loved it, until the second half becomes underwhelming, undermining many of the subversions preceding it.
    A dark fantasy with a wicked twist on this classic story. Oz Perkins' atmospheric horror fairy tale Gretel & Hansel (2020) is an artful new indie horror gem. Perkins is a fascinating director, who tells his Grimm fairy tale in a bold visual way with auteur sensibilities. There's few, if any scares, so the entire film is one childhood dread that will freak out kids for sure and unsettle their parents. It's about a young girl's fears of becoming a woman in a world hellbent on destroying her. Oz Perkins and Rob Hayes's script is excellent and thoughtful with a modern flair and feminism to it to update Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm's iconic fairy tale. It's still a parable teaching children to fear strangers and beware gifts, but much darker than old versions of this story, more in line with the Brothers Grimm's ideals. I recommend Oz Perkins' Gretel & Hansel for fans of The VVitch, Hereditary, and The Village. You'll hardly see a better looking film in 2020 than Gretel & Hansel. Galo Oliveras uses far wide shots with eerie dim lighting, dense fog, colorful lights, and enclosed spaces to unnerve the audience with his striking wide shots. His close-up shots are really revealing for characters' feelings and inner thoughts. Sophia Lillis is phenomenal as the innocent, yet aware Gretel. Her new, intelligent, and fearsome take on Gretel is much appreciated. Lillis looks so cute and innocent, but her astute performance as lead actress reveals her subtle skillfulness at portraying complex and intense emotions with a glance or a quick facial cue. She's quite remarkably engaging for an upcoming actress. Her dreamy eyes, soft voice, and tomboyish qualities accent her exceptional dramatic talent as an actress. I've enjoyed every movie I've seen Sophia Lillis in thus far. Likewise, Alice Krige is unreal as the haunting witch Holda. Her line delivery is playful and engrossing as you hang on her every word. She completely transforms for Gretel & Hansel. You will be silenced by Krige's chilling and cunning depiction of the witch with gluttony for children. Samuel Leakey is fun as little, gullible, hungry Hansel. Charles Babalola is intriguing as the helpful Hunter, who aids and guides Gretel and Hansel along their journey. Jessica De Gouw is gorgeous as Young Holda with captivating eyes and serious gravitas. Julia Wong and Josh Ethier's editing is slick without wasting a second of Gretel & Hansel's brief 87 minutes. It may be a slow movie for some expecting a thriller, but I found Oz Perkins to have directed a gripping horror picture and slow burn. What fiery practical effects too! Jeremy Reed's production design is creepy and otherworldly with a medieval era feel. Christine McDonaugh's Gothic art design is very cool. Leonie Prendergast's costumes are cool, detailed, and look expensive for an indie horror film with a $5 million budget. Gretel's little dress is cute and functional, while the witch's flowing black robes and dresses are captivating. I must mention Rob's French synth score is killer with an ever rising crescendo of creepy sounds. Rob's electronic music is reminiscent of It Follows' music or Stranger Things' soundtrack I suppose. It's very neat. In all, I loved the bitterly dark twist on an old, beloved story from visionary director Oz Perkins.
    Boring and disturbing. It is more of a movie with satanic elements other than the original one that is more of a fantasy story for kids. It is nothing like the original one!