I Used to be Funny

, 83% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • Bringing a droll edge to deeply serious subject matter, Ally Pankiw's feature length debut provides Rachel Sennott a welcome opportunity to display her dramatic range.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Claudia PuigFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    Ultimately, it did win me over on the strength of the lead performer, Rachel Sennott.
    Kylie BolterChicago Reader
    Rachel Sennott takes an impressive dramatic turn in this exploration of mental health and grief.
    Radheyan SimonpillaiCTV's Your Morning
    It’s really smart and lovely indie filmmaking that finds this delicate balance between the laughs and the big emotions, and using the laughs to cope with the big emotions
    Katie WalshTribune News Service
    In her film debut, [Pankiw] delivers a full and fulfilling narrative arc that is anchored by a surprisingly complex performance from Sennott.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Jordan HoffmanThe Daily Beast
    There’s the old cliché about loving a performer so much you’d watch them read the phone book. That’s put somewhat to the test in I Used to Be Funny, a low-energy, unoriginal, and poorly crafted film.
    Emily ZemlerObserver
    Rachel Sennott is—as always—worth watching, though watching her portraying someone struggling with depression can be . . . depressing.

• , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Wade MajorFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It feels a little threadbare, and it took me an hour to get into it... On balance, I'd recommend it, but with some big reservations.
    Preston BartaFresh Fiction
    'I Used to Be Funny' is raw, real, and deeply relatable for anyone who’s just trying to get through it, hang onto the good, and make sense of things that don’t make sense.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Will BjarnarInSession Film
    But the more I Used to Be Funny jostles back and forth from one timeline to the next, it becomes scattered, both narratively and tonally.
    Lissete Lanuza SáenzFangirlish
    I Used to be Funny is one of those strange movies that manages to be both hilarious and incredibly heartbreaking, and yet there’s truth somewhere in the middle of both those things.