In the Heights

In the Heights has more songs than history, but despite this, the movie is excellent and gives us paciencia y fe to know if it will reach the Oscars.
    This musical was pretty good. Anthony Ramos, Corey Hawkins, Leslie Grace, Melissa Barrera, Jimmy Smits, and the rest of the cast did a pretty good job in this movie. The story of the movie was dramatic and pretty entertaining. It's about facing tough decisions to make and what really matters in life. I'm not a big fan of musicals, but this one was actually better than I thought it would be. If you haven't seen this musical yet, check it out sometime. You'll probably enjoy it.
    I'm a fan of musicals. While this one was entertaining, it was just okay. Some of the singing was merely dialogue in song ... a bit lame.
    In The Heights is a big, bold, incredibly vibrant film that aims to please with a glint in its eye and a beating, pulsating heart. Based on the stage musical of the same name, In The Heights is the creation of Lin-Manuel Miranda, a work that preceded his monster hit Hamilton. The film is about the Hispanic communities of Washington Heights in New York City. It's a vibrant striving community and the film concerns itself with the dreams and aspirations of the residents of 'The Heights'. The central character is Usnavi, who owns a bodega but dreams of more. Other characters are a businessman who owns a Taxi company and his daughter who has just returned from Stanford, a woman who runs a beauty salon and various others who live and breathe the district. As the film ensues we learn more about their back stories and also the struggles they have in everyday life. As this is a musical, scenes are acted out in song and dance. There are huge dance sequences with some incredible choreography. The film is a celebration of communal ties and individual gumption, a film based in reality but also one that dares to dream. But I have an admission, I don't like musicals. I usually find the music very basic and one dimensional and the very nature of musicals I think tends to make the story not as complex as a drama would. So my enjoyment of this film is informed by that. That said it's incredibly well made and if you like musicals then I think you will truly love this film.
    The choreography was fantastic! The subject was timely! I took my 17 year old granddaughter, not sure who loved it most.
    I love the visuals of the movie, the coreography is breathtaking, and the song composition is amazing. But as a person who watched (and loved) the stageplay version of it, the alteration of the story kinda' makes the movie didn't hit as much as before. But i still recommend it for those who want to try a rap musical but not yet watched Hamilton (2016).
    I found the first hour or so to be curiously dry. There were some odd directorial shots (revealing fake teeth at one point) and the songs all sounded too similar as if I were watching a single song and dance number for an hour. Some scenes were just too cluttered, so many dancers in the distance that the choreography didn't make sense. During this first half, the director 'opens up' the stage musical I think, although I haven't seen the stage show, and it just doesn't work. Then, I found the second half to be awesome. A "Fiesta" scene in a nightclub is great. In a subway, Olga Merediz, (the story's matriarch) delivers THE ONE true show-stopping song/performance, outdoing the very good Anthony Ramos. A finale in an alley and then a dance number up and down the side of a building enthralls. 5 stars for the second half hour, which is probably how this looked on stage in Lin Manuel Miranda's original production. But just 2 stars for the odd first half, for an average of 3.5 stars. One more note: this show is now 13 years old and some lines fall flat. And let's not talk about the dancing wigs. One more thing: I never felt any kind of street grittiness, everything glitters. Even the sweat on people looked really silly. And a couple of really bad CGI effects had me pausing and rewinding to look again. On second thought, I gotta take a half- star off my rating for some inexcusable errors. I've seen low budget horror films that didn't make these mistakes. Did I mention the three gals/Greek chorus? Best not to talk about that either. Color me puzzled.
    It doesn't tell as full or engaging of a story as some of Lin Manuel Miranda's other projects, but the music and choreography is great.
    Loved it. So vibrant and fun. Excellent performances
    Personally musicals don't generally do it for me. There are those exceptions, like "Singing in the Rain", or the Disney animated films that lend itself world nicely with song. "In the Heights" surprisingly works well as a film where the story, setting and street music blend nicely with each other. It's really the story of some residents of the Washington Heights section of Manhattan. Lin-Manuel Miranda adds a flare of credibility to the songs as they advance the story. It becomes a nice slice of life while being emotionally fulfilling. Much better than I ever expected it to be.