Joe Bell

Critics make me sad. Very good story and acting. It's worth a watch.
    It's brokeback, but culturally late and not nearly as effective in telling the true story of father/son journey on bullying. Cliche and cringey.
    If you are interested in bullying in general or LGBTQ+ teens in particular, this moving film is for you. Based on a true story, Mark Wahlberg portrays a father who decides to walk across the US with/for his gay son in order to bring attention to the issue of bullying. During their campfire talks, the son Jadin (convincingly portrayed by Reid Miller) appears much more mature than his father, a blue collar type, who, at least on the surface, accepts Jadin being gay. At about halftime, the film takes a different direction, which leads to the appearance of 'Lt. Dan' Gary Sinise as a small-town sheriff, a prequel to the surprise ending. All in all a good movie that keeps you engaged and leaves you thinking.
    IN A NUTSHELL: This dramatic movie is based on the true story of a small town, working-class father who embarks on a solo walk across the U.S. to crusade against bullying after his son is tormented in high school for being gay. The film is directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green. This is one of those movies that the critics absolutely hated, rating it at an embarrassingly low score of 38% on Rotten Tomatoes, while audiences really enjoy it, giving it a 77%. What did YOU think of the movie? Comment down below! I'd love to know your score! THINGS I LIKED: I adore Mark Wahlberg in everything he does and he does everything well: drama, comedy, action. He gives a strong, powerful performance, as expected, and is one of the producers of the film. Rumor has it that Wahlberg invited young Reid Miller to his house for breakfast just to tell him in person that he landed the role of Jadin Bell. Awww, what a nice guy. And speaking of Reid Miller. He's perfectly believable in this role. Other talented cast members are Gary Sinise and Connie Britton. Sadly, this is Larry McMurtry's last screenplay because he died just before the release. Cute scene about Lady Gaga's songs. You get to see some real video footage and images of the real people this movie is about at the end of the film. I always love that. There's a sucker-punch moment that I didn't see coming. Nice job. The story itself is heartbreaking and important. THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: I thought it was interesting when the son told his dad, "It's my life, Dad. Not yours. " While that's definitely true, the son's life choices DID affect the dad's life. The timeline can be a bit confusing as it bounces around. Don't watch the trailer before you see the movie so that you don't see any spoilers. It's a painful, terribly sad movie. Some viewers complain that the movie doesn't dive deeply enough, but it does do something to keep the conversation of acceptance and tolerance going. Its heart is definitely in the right place. TIPS FOR PARENTS: Profanity, crude language, including F-bombs Two gay teens kiss Ugly comments about gays Bullying Family Parenting You see some Drag Queens at a gay bar You can see my full review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel.
    Heartbreaking real story 💔💔
    Joe Bell never amounts to the sum of its impressive parts, but it uses an appropriately intimate lens to capture a career-best performance from Mark Wahlberg and a beautifully empathetic Reid Miller. The storytelling, however unremarkable, is not undone by its heart-wrenching, but inspiring real-life roots.
    Joe Bell is a sombre watch but spreads an important message to all. Wahlberg delivers displaying more emotion than we're used to. The ending shocks but hurries to its finale when it deserved more time. A heartbreaking true story.
    This story had so much potential. The story focus was on Joe and not the story of Jadin. Joe’s story wasn’t interesting. The Story was awkward and acting was bad.
    @markwahlberg Thank you!! I'm actually in the middle of watching this film and felt compelled to leave a review. We don't see this with most "Hollywood" actors and I appreciate you for stepping out in support of inclusivity for all. I live in Oregon and had never heard of Jadin's story. Again, another thank you. I am normally cheap and don't rent movies since we have subscriptions to multiple services. However my hubby said because of you we should watch it. I am so glad he did. Anyone reading this, if you are struggling, please reach out to the youth line!! They can help you!! Tomorrow is a new day and you are loved!! https://oregonyouthline.org/
    Wow, the critics went hard on this one, nitpicking every detail. I went into this knowing only it's based on a true story and Wahlberg is walking across America because his gay son was bullied. I never even saw the trailer, and to be honest, I held off until there was nothing better to watch to see this film, only to laugh at Wahlberg playing the dad of a gay son (the last actor I'd expect to play that role), and expected it to be boring and not even finish the film. Man, was I wrong. This film hits every nerve, with some shocks and gut-punches. It's about much more than the plot summary states. It is very powerful, and will leave you emotional way past the closing credits. I truly am shocked at some of the critics reviews; instead of nitpicking, they should've sat back, followed the events of this true story, and read between the lines for some very powerful messages. There is so much more to this film than meets the eye. I actually enjoyed the way the story was told, and the flashbacks were placed perfectly. The directing and cinematography was spot-on, and the screenplay was excellent. The 94 min runtime was just right, and the pacing couldn't have been better. The score and soundtrack were perfect, and that last song will just keep tugging at your heart-strings as the credits roll by. Casting and performances were outstanding, and although Wahlberg should've used some onions to shed some real tears in a few scenes, his tone, facial expressions and demeanor in my opinion made his performance Oscar-worthy. This is a must-see film for every father out there, regardless of your beliefs or religion. I feel this film is one of the most powerful films - based on true events, of the decade. It's a 9.7/10 from me, rounded up to a perfect 10/10. Again, wow.