King Richard

Brilliant story, acting and direction. The Williams family's journey was fascinating. To learn that they were Jehovah's Witnesses was a side I wanted to learn more about. I understand that Venus still practices, but Serena does not. It was painful to see good people being punished for no reasons by gangs and to get a small glimpse into Compton. The racism aspect was fairly portrayed and it showed that there are racists out there, but that there are also people who are good and will help. I am glad to celebrate their achievements. It was on Amazon.
    Brilliant Performance By Will Smith and Jon Bernthal
    great representation of achieving the American dream with hard work
    Great oscar worthy performance from Will Smith. Uplighting inspirational film.
    Will Smith gives a great performance. the "story" is based on true facts and fun to watch
    An instant classic in the tradition of Rocky, Rudy and The Karate Kid this underdog sports movie aces it straight down the line. Will Smith portrays the appealingly complex title role with a nuanced sensibility while the script hits all the right beats. Long live King Richard and the Williams family.
    Didn’t get a chance to wast his the movie because due to COVID concerns the theatre was closed without prior notice. Supposedly pre-purchased tickets are being refunded.
    Superb!! Perfect example of standing true to self and children's well being while looking forward to success.
    An arrogant man full of self belief and he definitely passed that quality onto his daughters. King Richard is the story of a father who devoted his time to coaching his daughters to be the 2 of the best tennis players ever. And that against all odds as the movie references the racial roadblocks and challenges they encountered both from inside and outside their Compton ghetto. This is a feel good story about a man and his 5 daughters who are on a adventure. A man who is trying to help his daughters have better futures outside of the ghetto. A man who is trying to teach them humility and life values and as well as drive them on to be the best in the world. Will Smith who I don't usually like because I find him cheesy is very good in this. His devotion to his daughters is likeable but he is also a very frustrating man whose company you do not to be in. He always knows best and interferes with the coaches. When he is convinced they will make it, he begins to fear that success will be damaging for them and starts to encourage them to have fun. I think alot of tennis players have pushy parents - Andy Murray for example and it is interesting to learn more about how the story behind the Williams sisters. We all know how the story ends but many of us did not know how it starts and that is what this movie does.
    This origin story is so good. Will Smith is one of the movie's goat and I was crying when the people punch him. The development of the backstory is beautiful because you can se how Venus is growing up. I only refused that Serena wasn't one of the principal, but I hope a second one with serena