audience Reviews, 64% Audience Score
- Rating: 4 out of 5 starsMa starts out by exploring the horror of an adult befriending teenagers and offers some interesting cringe moments that make you turn away before transitioning to a more conventional horror film in the second act. Fans of all sorts of horror will find a little something in this inventive and fresh entry to the genre. There is a rather large plot element that does not get properly explored. Despite that one supposed flaw, I would definitely watch this again.
- Rating: 5 out of 5 starsFun scary movie, great writing!
- Rating: 3.5 out of 5 starsThe movie is certainly cool, but not too scary.It doesn't fit the horror genre, it's more of a thriller.I will recommend it only to those who loved such... Not very nice movies
- Rating: 0.5 out of 5 starsThe worst movie I've ever seen
- Rating: 3 out of 5 starsOctavia Spencer is having the absolute best time in this film. That being said, it's a pretty passé horror film but she's eating up the scenery so it's pretty entertaining.
- Rating: 0.5 out of 5 starsThis is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I've seen a LOT of movies in almost 50 years. The fact it's sitting at 55 critic and 6x audience at this point in time makes me lose faith in rating systems. It's not bad in a way that it's fun, it's just, awful. The pacing, acting (including Spencer's), dialogue is abysmal, plot sucks, you name it, this was bad at it. I've never voted this low in my life on any site. It's that bad. Wow.
- Rating: 2 out of 5 starsLove me some Ma! Great movie if you wanna have a laugh. Octavia Spencer is the only good thing about an otherwise formulaic and flat Blumhouse film, but boy does she deliver!
- Rating: 5 out of 5 starsso fresh fresh af would smash ma
- Rating: 3.5 out of 5 starsIt is a crazy movie and all over the place. It's maybe the most uneven pace I've seen since a long time, things suddenly get very dark/threatening but come back to a simple pace as quickly. It is still very entertaining especially with Olivia who it's definitely game to play this crazy woman. It can be a little hard to follow, the story tries to surprise you with some twist and some weird scenes but doesn't really go all the way with it, so it lets you a little confused with the feeling that you missed a point or a proper explanation. At the end, it's a crazy ride for the viewers and those uncalled shocking moments are part of the fun. Also, the actors playing the teenagers really looks like high-schoolers, which is rare in movie and also contribute to make their dark turn of fate even more efficient (that said they make some very stupid decisions here, and it's hard to not think about how they deserve their fate).
- Rating: 1.5 out of 5 starsSpencer and a few decent cast members can't save this one. It tries to come off as a kind of Carrie revenge story but it's premise backfires and offends. The key difference was the supernatural powers Carrie had to kill her bullies; this film makes Ma a sadistic killer that is all too realistic, thereby breaking the rule by treating this as possible in real life.