Ma

What did I think of Ma? Check out my full review below: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5Jq9g7KxjDVhtqns3hW7Wb?si=5u3eMYarQZKzkbzdnj8skg
    A stupid teenager type horror movie that was entertaining throughout
    it is not a bad movie but it is also not excellent, its script has terrible errors and ends up getting lost, characters with no history that never completed, some actors manage to disturb their characters well but others seem like they don't even know what to do.
    When we look back on "Ma," we will recall that this was Octavia Spencer's chance to be a leading lady. It's also when we discovered that she could be a very, very, Bad Black Mother.
    Ma (5.5/10) is a psychological revenge horror flick. It is a film about bullying and its consequences. Maggie and her mother just moved to town. With her new friends, Maggie went out to the rock piles for some alcohol drinking. Being underage, they employed the help of Sue-Ann (Octavia Spencer), whom they met outside the liquor store, to buy the drinks. They were grateful, but little did they know that the seemingly friendly veterinary nurse had her eyes on them. Ma is generally enjoyable despite its lack of momentum. The film started quick but slowed down a lot after we met Sue Ann. Barely anything of note happened until the final act when things finally got exciting. Although the pacing suffered for the bulk of the film, it spent an ample amount of time to set things up, which all eventually paid off in the final act. Sue Ann's backstory was given in pieces throughout the film and that helped in building up the layers of tension. When the final piece of the story was finally revealed, you realise how traumatic was her experience and how devastating it had to be for her. The film, despite its well-written villain, does not deliver as much as you would expect from a revenge flick. I have avoided using the phrase "full of missed opportunities" to describe the film as many others had because the film did set up opportunities and did use them effectively, just not extensively enough. There were a few times in the film when you would get drawn into it but just to be sent back into your seats again, as the tension dissipated swiftly right after it was meticulously built up. On hindsight, I guess I could describe the film itself as a huge missed opportunity as with such a good villain and moving backstory, the film could have gone further. Another thing I had issues with the film is the characters. The villain, Sue Ann, was genuinely well-written and unnerving. The adult characters were memorable too despite their short screen time. The others, however, failed to be relatable. Questionable decisions were made one after another by the teenage protagonists and that pulled me out of the film quite often. It was rather difficult to feel for them at most times as it felt as if they deserved whatever was coming for them. The teenage male characters failed to be more than two-dimensional characters while the teenage female characters fared a bit better but that does not really say much. It is undoubtedly a shame as it has a great cast. On a better note, Octavia Spencer was spectacular as Sue Ann and it is enjoyable watching her playing the twisted mother. All in all, Ma is a generic revenge flick which lacks momentum and excitement. It manages to capture you, however, with its final act when everything finally clicks together and gets into motion. It is a watchable film despite its flaws, and if you have some time to spare, go watch it for Octavia Spencer's wonderful performance.
    It was pretty messed up. I can't say I enjoyed it but I wanted to see how it ended.
    Woman, bullied at school, tries to befriend some local kids but when they get sick of partying at her house, she starts killing people.
    Could've been so much better. Although it is worth a watch for Octavia Spencer's great performance.
    The movie kinda creeped me out, because I personally know that psychos like Sue Ann are real. It took a little long getting to the small amount of horror in this "horror" film. But, that's actually part of what makes the film more believable.
    This movie is fudged up. And that's good because this movie is a horror movie but it takes a long long time to get fudged up. And the somewhat twist is like a duh in the first 5 minutes of the movie. This is another forgettable horror movie from universal Studios and blumhouse. Better luck next time.