Meeting Gorbachev

I hope more people are seeing this considering current events (like me). It paints a very raw picture about how different things would be today if egos were different, and makes you wonder who's fault the war in Ukraine today really is. It's not as cut and dry as one might think. Fantastic documentary about someone who seems largely brushed over by modern history. Must watch.
    Very interesting documentary movie... but I'm pretty sure that the one in the movie was not the real Michail Gorbachev.
    Yet there is an abysmal difference between the various "Aguirre" or "Fitzcarraldo" and "Gorbachev": this time it is not the defeat of a delirium of omnipotence, of a utopian idealist who crashes against Nature and its indomitable laws, but of a statesman who was demonstrating how the Leninist way to a "human" communism was viable, so much so that the conservative forces dismissed him with a putsch. The "repubblichino" Ezio Mauro plays dumb denying the historical and macroeconomic evidence: the fall of the Wall in '89 was only a consequence of the multiple reforms carried out during his secretariat from 1985 to 1991. Growing up in a kolkhoz, he had learned to increase the purchasing power not by raising incomes, salaries and wages (see Landini and today's false left), but by keeping prices down and therefore the cost of living. The variables to modify the gap between rich and poor are 2, and a left that is truly such acts on the second, not on the first one. (Mauro Lanari)
    A poor film when it comes to a man like Werner Herzog. Nothing exceptional in particular.
    This documentary is one of the most important historical records of our time. Every school child in the United States (and their parent) should be required to watch. I remember these events and the U.S. press got it all wrong, preferring to elevate Reagan rather than take the opportunity for world peace. Reagan's legacy should be tarnished by this reality check. What a disgusting display of opportunism. The film also reveals the contrast between the humble home life of Gorbachev (as they visit his garden) and the gross opulence that surrounds U.S. politicians.
    Gorbachev is fundamentally an interesting character study - raised in the tumult of the Second World War in unremarkable circumstances, gradually rising to prominence on the back of reforms and internal changes, before overseeing one of the world's largest countries dissolve in the midst of substantial internal and external conflict. Too moderate for the conservative nationalists despite the efficacy of his international efforts, too Soviet for the rest of the world to really embrace, undeniably intelligent. But Herzog's attempt to document his rise, the balance of his success and failures, feels too sanitized, as if an old USSR review board had final cut approval. Still, the actual interview footage stands out among the otherwise relatively conventional documentary material, offering an often candid portrayal of a figure who inhabited a unique role in 20th century history. (3/5)
    Lessons from a man most politicians should learn from.
    MEETING GORBACHEV is one of very few documentaries that actually falls a little short of my hopes and expectations for the content it provides and its quality. The archival footage used and the interviews do offer sufficient valuable insight, but I do feel the production (particularly the interviews themselves) has no enhancing or engaging elements to make this better than a stock-standard TV documentary.
    I'm not much into politics, but I'm indeed into Herzog. Here his sits down with the last President of the Soviet Union and have a chat about everything from his childhood, the love of his life and political wins and downers. Interesting guy, and a nice interview but it fails to interest me. One of the guys poorest, recent documentaries for me - but that's mostly a matter of the topic and not the film as a product. Sorry, Herzie, but I still love you. 5.5 out of 10 Presidents.
    A candid recollection of Gorbachev's memories and opinions about the Soviet Union. He is one of the few people in the USSR who was legitimately kind-hearted, well-intentioned and wanted what's better for everyone, with or without communism. Given all the horror stories I hear of Russian from my parents, and the current political landscape, the world is lucky that a man like this was given the option to lead a large state when it was an international "superpower".