Needle in a Timestack

1.5 out of 5 stars. Interesting concept with a romantic story and sci fi mixed. About time phases and shifts that can change at any given moment. The plot is horrible. The script and direction fails with the idea of changing the past and changing the future. The acting is decent. The film is boring.
    Not sure why the critics had their underwear in a bunch, as this is a good movie. The time-travel is incidental to the romance/drama. Perhaps some were looking for another Tenet or End Game. Nevertheless, it is well-acted and really explores those what-ifs we all pursue mentally against a backdrop of how much in our lives is truly driven by fate. No spoilers from this quarter. Watching without reading any reviews is certainly the way to go here.
    Time travel movie with talented actors, that talks about the beginning of relationships can be fickle, and it takes a commitment of people to maintain it. However, it has a subtle tone of manipulation. Where any relationship, minus one (sister/brother), one party for their own benefit under the guise of "I want you to be happy" will change the past.
    Time travel movies are hard for me to endure anyway - but this one is a drudge of jumping back into the past to affect the future. Odom Jr. is just so dang serious it's painful.
    Two black leads is one reason for the lower than deserved ratings. The only issue I had with the story is being confused about if we want the main protagonist to be with the woman he supposedly loves—which is kind of the #1 rule in romance. But given this is also ACI-if/fantasy, confusion is a common trope. This movie's twists and turns were worth the pay off IMO. And society still can't handle the centering of black people in a narrative and having their needs be paramount. Hopefully we'll get there one day.
    I disagree with the critic reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Leslie Odom Jr's performance was outstanding! His portrayal of Nick's full range of emotions from bliss to grief brought the hazards and threats of time travel to life. He is able to communicate so much through his expressions without saying a word. Cynthia Erivo delivers as a loving wife and accomplished women. Who wouldn't absolutely adore her character Janine! Erivo and Odom's onscreen chemistry is magical. Jaydon Wong as the supportive sister is consistently powerful. Admittedly, sci-fi time travel films will always have some outlier flaw that leave its viewers wondering. However, John Ridley's stylish time travel sci fi story kept my attention, made me care about the characters and their fate. The soundtrack and the diverse casting was also amazing!
    I have no idea why this got such low reviews. I just finished this and absolutely loved it. It made me uncomfortable, in a good way, in that it stirred up a lot of emption. I felt a lot watching this and really had no idea where it would go. Thank you for making such a movie.
    It is a love story, and it is also about loss and grief and the destruction of memory. Needle in a Timestack is a very romantic movie that tells its story within a reality where time travel is possible. By its nature, this kind of film requires patience because the story cannot be rushed. There are no explosions, apocalyptic space battles, or even frantic sprints down dark hallways, but the story generates hope for the protagonist, although at the end we realize that he had love in both realities he found himself in due to the manipulation of the past by another time traveler. The subdued lighting and warm lighting gave the film a feeling of intimacy, as did the generally quiet manner in which the characters communicated with each other. The acting was great and matched the mood of the story. I really liked the ambivalence of the last scene, which left the viewer to draw his or her own conclusions. Well done to the filmmakers.
    OK for a week day movie when you're struggling to find a decent movie to watch. No violence, just love, possibly a bit melodramatic. It's a time travel love story, full of the same problems that all time travel movies have. "Wait ! He paid that time travel company a tremendous amount via bank transfer to go back. But he was rich before his time travel and poor after. So, did his check then bounce because of things he did in the time travel past? If so, how did he get the m money to pay them? Never mind, there's plenty more. The plot, a bit interesting maybe, is lost when he lives, loves, and loses. But is definitely transplant and obvious. You can guess the next scene quickly. But, actually not too bad for a slow night. Too many love cliches, but there are many far worse.
    I absolutely loved this movie! It puts you in the mindset of The Notebook but with a futuristic feel. It has a little bit of everything for everyone. It's a love story, a drama, science fiction, and a touch of humor. This movie is a great way to start the holiday season or any season of love no matter the time of year! The only reason I didn't give this one 5 stars is because I wanted the ending to tell me a little about the future for the main characters. Otherwise this movie gets an A from me!