Nefarious

The idea of a "Christian horror movie" first comes as a surprise to most who would hear the concept. For those outside of the religion like myself, our second thought would likely be that it would not be that interesting or scary. After being dragged to see this by some Christian friends, I am glad to say I was very surprised. A24's The Witch is the first thing that comes to mind to describe this movie. The director in it said the supernatural horror was based on the real beliefs people in earlier centuries had about witches. That is what made the fear of the protagonists so interesting to behold, as it was not the fear concocted in the mind of a story writer bent on giving an audience a thrill, but the fear a people once believed was very real, and very dangerous. Few believe in the power of witches today, but many still believe in demons, and none more so than Christians. And in this movie, they saw their fear. It was not a thrill for them to see, but the image of what is a very real evil. This was a story of demonic possession as they believe it actually is, and not how horror movies typically portray it. There is no upside down crosses, contorted limbs, and green bile, but there is the figure of a man which harbors a sense of pure malice -- one that is initially hidden and you might miss if you weren't looking. To create such an effect would be hard to do from an acting perspective, but Sean Patrick Flanery pulls it off in a masterful sense. It is hard not to be emotionally moved in every direction by his powerful performance, and many of those who didn't like the movie, still agree that he acted very well. I was fascinated by the perspective brought to the topic of this movie, and had long discussions with my friends after we saw it. If you are not a Christian, but a lover of supernatural horror, it is a movie worth exploring for it's unique view on a well worn horror trope.
    Intense, riveting, and thought provoking. Lots to discuss with my spouse after watching it.
    Nefarious is a delightfully well done film, with acting that is believable and strong and a message that resonates well. The film does a good job of perpetuating fear and tension with dialog, and does so at many times almost exclusively, and does an on-paper near impossible job of retaining excellence and focus with a large majority of the movie taking place in a single location with no more than 2 characters on the screen. This movie will certainly garner backlash for some of it's content, as evidenced with many critic reviews bashing it not for it's film elements but because of offense to the material. Do not let that dissuade you from seeing what is a rare but standout thought provoking film. The movie received a rating of "R", but is devoid of nudity, sex, and strong language. That isn't to say the movie doesn't have mature themes and flashes of brutality, it does - but it is well placed and makes an impact. The rating itself definitely leaves more questions than the films well fleshed out plot. Is it perfect film? No, but what film is? What the film definitely is, is a surprisingly well done film that paces well and offers some of the best acting out a small private studio you will find that can compete with near any film of any budget. Nefarious will leave you talking and thinking about it's content well beyond the 1 hour and 30+ minute screen time. Enjoyable, but also creepy, not much more you can ask for from a horror film!
    Absolutely riveting! From the moment the 2 main characters meet, it's impossible to look away. A perfect depiction of the internal struggles of mankind that's brilliantly acted out on screen.
    This was an excellent and thought provoking movie.
    One of Best thriller movies I have seen in a long time. Sean Patrick Flannery deserves an Oscar!
    Excellent film. Recommend it highly especially at this time in history
    This is a must see film. From start to finish I was captivated and entertained by this well thought out, well acted, thought provoking film. A true follow up for the horrible attempts at recreating " The Exorcist". For once in a very long while a film made with no special effects, explosions, gratitudous nudity or silliness. Just great acting with a good storyline. This one will stay with you for awhile.
    I can see why the critics didn’t “like” this movie. It was meant to remind us of the evil that surrounds us.
    Right wing psyop garbage.