Nine Days

Nine Days is a hugely ambitious, extremely intelligent film about life in all its wonders and delights. It could be described as supernatural but it is truly impossible to categorize. The film begins with Will. He lives in an isolated house in the middle of a desert landscape. His house is littered with video tapes of various people and their lives. He has an entire room filled with old TVs that appear to be showing live coverage of several people. When one of his 'subjects' dies suddenly he swings into action. He needs to replace her on Earth and begins a process of interviews with various people. He tells each one of them that the process will take 'nine days'. I could delve more into the plot but the true delight of this superb film is discovering just what it is actually all about. In essence the film examines what it means to be alive and the choices you make on earth to be a good person. It swings from being very emotional to being very thought provoking. Winston Duke as Will is truly wonderful, with great supprt from Zazie Beetz, Tony Hale and Benedict Wong. This is the debut film from director Edson Oda and he has crafted a film of both mystery and illumination. In a world of cooker cutter films it is truly joyous to see a film of such originality.
    Interesting. I needed help understanding the ins and outs of the characters
    I loved every character in the movie, especially Will & Emmas connection & every actors performance with their characters
    This film floored me. A film that dives deep into the soul and touches the heart. It is beautifully shot and directed, displaying an extremely impressive debut by Edson Oda. The thoughtful script balances the themes and tone perfectly. Every moment feels intentional and integral to the story, and it all builds to a powerful and resonating close (an ending that reminded me a lot of Soul; and I loved Soul)
    This movie is fantastic if you’re not looking for typical bubblegum for the mind like Hollywood cranks out, this movie is for you
    Trekking through a very different sort of conceit in a house, Edson Oda and his absolute gem of a cast meanwhile seek the meaning of life in Nine Days. Winston Duke leads as Will, a man in a space beyond earthly existence who passes judgment on which unborn souls will be granted the gift and opportunity of life. After the sudden death of his previous star selection, young violin prodigy Amanda, Will wrestles with selecting a new candidate from his newest batch of recruits, thinking only of the indifferent, uncaring existence that awaits them on Earth. Nine Days doesn't fully reach its lofty ambitions in exploring the spectrum of life and all its delights, suffering, and mysteries, Oda's approach being too binary in its outlook. Duke gives his all as Will, but his reeling from the loss of Amanda becomes the character too much of a hard-ass to connect with. In the polar opposite sense, his counterpart in Zazie Beetz's soul to be, Emma, is too naive in her optimism to provide a proper sense of philosophical friction. There's no authentic nuance to be had in Oda's ideas as a result (and his writing leans too obviously into one of the opposing camps for a proper address of the world), especially with most of the film's dramatic pathos coming from its characters watching TV and plodding through unengaging thought experiments. Still, the great Benedict Wong, Bill Skarsgård, Tony Hale, and more anchor the film down with just enough performative spice to keep one's attention. Between its inspired use of old school analogue technology, beautifully original imagery, and Oda's general creative zest throughout, Nine Days also has its fair share of magical moments to keep the train going, enough to make its mixed bag of an odyssey through the Great Before and Beyond one at least worth considering.
    “Nine Days” is the most powerful and profoundly beautiful film I have seen in years. This is a true masterpiece and I hope that it receives the attention it deserves. I was deeply moved by this film.
    I was that person that fell asleep. Should have left and gone next door. Yawn.
    I understand that ending but Emma should have been chosen.
    Tedious and incoherent attempt at the meaning of being alive. Overlong as well at 2+hrs. Bring a pillow just in case. Ending monologue was a self referential shot at making some sense out of this existential piece but by then I really didn't care. Just roll the credits.