On the Count of Three

A dark comedy with a depressing and also uplifting tone despite the overall theme of suicide that's present in the first till the last scene. The two main leads are really charismatic and work really well together, and they're also able to be completely separate people despite being so close due to their conflicting goals and wants: whilst they both wanted to initially commit suicide, they find that life should be lived how they want to, and that the only person standing in their way is oneself. This moral and message is beautiful, and heart-breaking at the same time due to Kevin's decision at the end as it also breaks the sugar coating by showing us that not all of life is happy, and that sadly people still decide that death is the only way out: the ending shot does this so well with the juxtaposition of the former shot followed by a silent pan and zoom out of Val in prison: whilst he's not in the best of places he still has family to live for, and somehow Jerrod Carmichael is able to convey all of that in a silent scene with depressing music, with a somewhat uplifting tone to it. That's another way they manage to convey the duality of life, with the music being depressing in lyrics and yet upbeat and energetic in tone: how you have to put on a smile even if you're not the happiest: which many can definitely resonate with. It's also surprisingly funny despite the theming, as they have great chemistry and get up to some pretty fun shenanigans which I feel like where placed as red herring's as Kevin even admits it's only fun because it's their last day, which is both wholesome and yet depressing, much like the rest of this films tone.
    Rating: A- "On the Count of Three is one of those films I know I'll undoubtedly rewatch more than just a couple of times. Boasting two phenomenal performances from Christopher Abbott and Jerrod Carmichael (also the director), the genuine chemistry between the two actors elevate a close friendship into something that makes the viewers deeply care about their fate. Tremendous praise to Ari Katcher and Ryan Welch's screenplay, which is definitely the element that makes this movie one of the best I've seen this year. By writing it with extreme care and responsibility, the predictable yet impactful ending doesn't leave a margin for doubts about what's right or wrong. Everyone deals with the bad moments in life differently, but life is always worth living. I felt emotionally invested in the main characters to the point of wishing the film was longer so that the writers could dive deep into these protagonists. Technical shoutouts to the impressive camera work and remarkable score. In the end, I couldn't recommend it more."
    great performances from both front leads and a great dark humour give the film a feeling of joy in a depression based movie
    A solid debut from Jerrod Carmichael that delicately navigates its themes of mental health while hitting every comedic beat.
    Refreshing to see a good dark comedy drama, that also leaves you with closure.
    I really loved this movie! The cinematography is lovely, the concept is interesting, the two leads have great chemistry, and it has the perfect balance between comedy and drama. I only subtract points because imo it feels a bit scattered in the middle, certain elements come out of nowhere/aren't really built up to, and also because (again in my opinion) The leads acting could have been better. He comes off a little wooden in places. I know hes supposed to be sort of a closed off character, but i would have liked to see more emotion and have been given more of an opportunity to empathize with him. But then again, he wasn't really given any scenes where that would have made sense so maybe its more the scripts fault. Either way, its still a really great movie and i would highly recommend it even with these small flaws.
    I really wanted to like this film -- even love it. The problem is the script is just not great. This is where I think most of the blame falls, unfortunately. That said, as director, JC must take some of this responsibility. The mise en scène is great, Christopher Abbott is fantastic as always, and JC does a pretty good job in the co-lead, although he falls a tad flat (by design, but still)... The direction is good, there are some really nice moments and the photography is solid, but overall it just doesn't make the cut. It felt like a mishmash of other films the writers' liked and tried to reassemble in a new way, to no avail. And while I thought it was OK the night I watched it, the next day it was sitting rotten with me... which is never a good sign... That said, I will watch anything Jerrod does, as I think he is one of the more interesting ideas people on the planet and in the comedy and film world...
    Boring. Not well written, acted, shot, or directed
    Good movie, kind of heavy
    It was verrrrry well done and both leading actors killed it - no pun intended 😱😂