Onward

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    While not as good as other Pixar movies, Onward still manages to be a fun, heartwarming, fantasy adventure. This was also the last movie I saw in theaters before they shut down due to covid.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Não morri de amores como os outros filmes da Pixar, mas é linda a história dos dois irmãos. O final como sempre, me faz chorar!
    It was a very emotional movie for myself and my daughter we loved it! #DisneyFans
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Solid movie, a tad boring near the end, but very good!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    A magnificent animated movie. Disney has really formed Onward to be one of the best emotional and comedic animated movies of 2020. I recommend this movie to younger ages but older ages will still enjoy this fascinating movie. The movie touches around the story of a missing father and a gift that the father saved for his 2 kids. Chris Pratt and Tom Holland were perfect for the roles of Barley Lightfoot and Ian Lightfoot.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    Another amazing Pixar movie from Disney! Adventurous, action-packed, and emotional. This new Disney movie has everything that nostalgic adults and teens would want in a Disney movie while also introducing them to younger audiences.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    As a Pixar film, Onward is more A-minus material than B material with certain aspects being explored much better in past movies. As a stand-alone film, Onward is a very, very good movie that takes a while to get going but once the plot kicks into full gear, it's a well-acted film with really good moments, action-and-adventure moments that left me with anxiety (and I mean that as a compliment) and, as always, fantastic animation as can be expected from Pixar. And while I heard that the ending was what ultimately saved the movie, I was starting to grow a bit sceptical. But then I saw the ending for myself and the legends about it are true. Onward isn't on par with Pixar's original films from the 2000's but it definitely stands out more than half of the studio's filmography* from the 2010's. *For those who are about to have a heart attack: Cars 2, Brave, The Good Dinosaur, Monsters University and Cars 3, in case you were wondering. Note that I actually like 4/5 of these movies whilst the other one I consider a bad Pixar movie, but an average stand-alone film.
    The movie is perfect. Pixar's done it again.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    *Spoiler* Please ignore the comparison to other Pixar films which is very unjust and inappropriate. No two Pixar films are alike (except the sequels). This story is definitely off the grid like Monsters, Inc. Initially it starts off as a tale of a magical land but we soon discover that the ancient world has been replaced by fairy tale creatures who have totally forgotten their magical roots and prefer suburban conventions instead. In the midst of this mundane setting, a rather normal "elf" family, consisting of a pleasantly plump mum and 2 very different brothers tries to navigate life without their father who died years earlier. As the younger socially awkward son tries to adjust, he wonders if his dad's presence would have made him more confident. Cue Magic! The older son is a huge fan of YugiO-esque magic cards and discovers that they can summon their dead father from the world of the dead for just one day! But the spell goes wrong and only half of their father appears. This starts the quest to bring the rest of him back to life. This is a classic heroes journey as the brothers discover themselves, their flaws and a help a host of creatures re-discover their magical power and true callings. Don't be spooked by the supernatural storyline. As usual, Disney carefully balances the wonder of magic with the danger of magic (Aladdin, Sorcerer's Apprentice), raising the usual moral questions - Do you really need magic to be yourself? Can magic give you what you really need? In any case, this is a visually pleasing, exciting story that should delight everyone. I missed it in the movies due to a scheduling issue but the VFX are definitely big screen worthy. My only complaint is that the set-up is too obvious with a narrator basically telling the audience what's happened. The same thing happened in Frozen 2 when Elsa "remembers" a song her mother used to sing (which never happened in part 1) which explains her magical origins and further which doesn't explain why they locked her up for years. Let's hope that they stop using coincidences and the whole "long ago" narrative and properly develop a story that lets the audience figure things out. Oh, by the way if you're wondering about the film's title, let's just say it has to do with a certain medieval maiden.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Cute! Wish there was a female sibling, but I guess since no one needed to be rescued *eye roll*. There were some laugh out loud moments, definitely worth watching.