Origin

Best movie of the year. Everyone should watch it.
    OUTSTANDING! Should be required viewing for high school students.
    Origin is certainly an "important" movie" of ideas that should be seen, but not necessarily a great cinematic experience. DuVernay has done a phenomenal job of making the ideas in the seminal work Caste accessible to a wide audience, many of whom would never read the book. As one character advises in a conversation with Wilkerson, "Make it plain and less Pulitzer Prize-less." However, the film is a strange mishmosh of cheesy educational-film historical re-enatments, text-book voice-overs, news-style interviews, Ted-Talk type lectures, and dramatic, emotional personal life segments that seem added in to give some emotional weight to the film. The visual style is also unattractive, shot in grainy film and relying on far too many close ups where you wish the camera would pull back a bit to give some breathig space. (The same style ruined DuVernay's Wrinkle in Time for me.) The final half-hour montage of her thesis pulls it all together, and the film is worth seeing just for the heart-wrenching swimming pool scene.
    Ava DuVernay does it again with Origin! Ava has crafted a thought provoking, emotional, and powerful film here. It's a real shame the Academu did not recognize this film as a Best Picture nominee because it certainly needed to be there. Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor plays the Lead here as Author, Isabel Wilkerson. After the real life events of Trayvon Martin's murder, Isabel goes through life experiences and journey to write her next book, Caste: The Origins of our Discontents. Now, before watching this film I was not familiar with Isabel's work but I am planning to read her books soon after seeing this film. This film hits you right in your soul and trust me you will learn something. Ava DuVernay is one of our generations best Directors and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. Origin gets a perfect 5 stars out of 5. A complete masterpiece!
    To me, it took a convoluted first half to figure out what it wanted to be. The second half drew me in and didn't let me go.
    A must see. Very well done. Now I feel I must read the book just in case I missed something the movie didn't have. Imho, this should be a required movie in the high schools.
    A powerful, well produced, eye-opening film
    The most horrible movie you will ever watch even worse that madam Webb. Full of lies and deceit. Another leftist lie.
    One of the best most necessary movies I've ever seen.
    Eye opener, an absolutely must see, loved the way they interlaced her personal life with the events related to her research, it gives you a well aimed idea of her emotional state at the time, which don't interfere with her extraordinary intelligence.