Out of Darkness

, 86% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • A survival thriller reduced to the bare essentials, Out of Darkness offers a chilling reminder that the horror of looming death might be humanity's most universal experience.
    Philip De SemlyenTime Out
    Horror often has a problem with characters’ annoyingly faulty decision-making; here, their hierarchy of needs, with food and shelter to the fore, makes self-endangering choices more than believable.
    Kevin MaherTimes (UK)
    The difference here is in the attention to paleolithic detail and the emotional sincerity that the film-makers, including the debut director Andrew Cumming and the debut feature writer Ruth Greenberg, bring to the material.
    Victoria LuxfordEmpire Magazine
    Atmospheric and chilling, Out Of Darkness doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but adds some thoughtful twists to a well-worn genre.
    Sergio Burstein Los Angeles Times
    This first work by British director, Andrew Cumming, counts for a sufficient dose of originality and talent, transforming into a necessary visionary work for lovers of the genre. [Full review in Spanish]
    Cath ClarkeGuardian
    It left me in awe of the survival instinct: how on earth did humans make it through those cold, bloody old times? I’d hurl myself into the nearest loch.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Tim CogshellFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It moves along pretty good... There's a twist that I thought was sort of interesting.
    C.H. NewellFather Son Holy Gore
    Andrew Cumming’s film is about the enduring poison of patriarchy, as well as the human tendency to fear—and destroy—what we don’t know or understand.
    Lee ZumpeTampa Bay Newspapers
    It’s as much about the horrors that dwell in the dark, uncharted regions of the world as is about the way we react to fear and paranoia.
    Robert W. MonkFlickering Myth
    Out of Darkness is a fascinating update on the themes of survival in an unforgiving world.
    Sarah VincentSarah G Vincent Views
    The story is not about the monsters outside, but the demons within, and how people lose their community and themselves when they are afraid. It is about the human condition, and how easy it is to rationalize away others’ humanity under pressure.