Pinocchio

A creepy version of the classic story. A lot of these visuals freaked me out, but this did further enhance my appreciation for the beloved Disney version. (First and only viewing - July 7, 2021)
    I did get disturbed and annoyed by some characters: the fox and the cat to start with, but also by Pinocchio screaming, that kind of screaming you hate children for. I thought it wasn't necessary. But eventually the movie is not only about that. There is a depth and provoking trait only Italians can catch (those who want to catch it of course), as the original fairy tale is deeply italian. Didn't care much about costumes, although, they do have an impact on the contrast between the sweetness of Pinocchio and the world that doesn't look like a pleasant place at all (not even for poor Geppetto). Pretty much like the most of us when we don't want to accept it, but eventually, when we do, it suddenly becomes the best place we want to be.
    A lovely movie with some dark imagery. Parents beware, not for young children. Available now on Amazon Prime.
    Loved the visuals in this film--also the voice of Pinochhio was perfect. Delightful characters. Will watch it again.
    Incredible! I saw Disney's version as a child. Wonderful experience, of course. I'm now 80 years old, and loved this live action version. Negative reviews are not unexpected, given current audience's inability to see past their smartphone's screen. A beautiful reimagining of the original tale, not dumbed down for unsophisticated audiences.
    Banal, boring, full of feel good trash dialogues. I am Italian, I love the novel of Pinocchio written by Collodi, but this is just trash for appealing English speaking masses that don't know the novel. Italian cinema could have done way much better if they didn't try so desperately to make a blockbuster out of it.
    Beautiful, moving, and honors the original story.
    A mesmerizing and enchanting take on the now classic Disney Animated tale. This Pinocchio is much more creepy than the Disney version, but that more line's up with Collodi's original story. The makeup is fantastic, and this live action retelling has absolutely stunning locations. The folklore aspect is heavy throughout the movie, with great acting from Benigni and child actor Federico Lelapi to cement its place as a solid take on the original tale.
    Very disjointed story. What a wasted opportunity! Roberto Benini basically played the same goofy character he did in It's a Beautiful Life, but even then his character was shallow and undeveloped. It was difficult to care about any of the characters since they were saddled with horrible dialogue, had no introspection or engagement with any of the events in the story. There were a lot of sociopathic characters committing horribly violent and cruel acts upon Pinocchio with little more than an "Oh well, nevermind!" given as dialogue to explain the scene by any of the characters. The story scenes did not flow at all, and there was little incentive for the audience to care about anything that was happening in any case. It was pretty astounding how the movie managed to put so many disturbing scenes into one "family" movie while simultaneously eliciting no positive emotional reaction other than disgust.
    Way better than any other fairy tale movies I watched recently. This can probably beat the new live action adaptations like lady and the tramp and Mulan but probably not Cruella. The English voice over was better than expected and this movie is way, way darker than the original and there isn't a really annoying 3 year old puppet dancing round the entire time.