Plus One

Watching all of the wedding speeches was really funny, but also at times painful to watch. Maya Erskine reminded me of Awkwafina. Jack Quaid's smile definitely reminded me of his dad's. I loved the meet cute reference!
    A low-key movie about two friends who hit up a bunch of weddings together. Considering the subject material, the movie does a great job of treading new ground and keeping the movie moving. It truly captures the zeitgeist of attending weddings in your 20s in the 2010s. A fun, easy watch.
    I loved this movie. Stumbled onto it through Hulu. I had not heard of this movie, but really enjoyed it. I liked it so much I am now watching it again.
    Full disclosure: I'm a total sucker for a good best-friends-fall-in-love story. So, I may be biased, but to counter that, I've seen a hellaton of BFFs falling for each other in movies and television. Plus One ranks among the best, though not for its originality (come on) or for its execution (super-clichéd resolution). No, where Plus One shines is its two leads, who are perhaps the single-most real and human characters ever to tread the trope. Jack Quaid's Ben is a self-assured romantic with his head firmly between his buttocks when it comes to love. We've seen his kind before, and frankly, I usually find their gatekeeping zealotry creepy and off-putting. If I had to pick a weak link in the chain, it's Ben, who never really learns his lesson, but rather realizes that he's in love with his BFF, and is let off the hook for all his wrongheaded, destructive, pseudo-philosophical nonsense. I'd like to have seen him grow up a little more, but though his cookie-cutter apology is as rote as it gets in a romcom, Quaid delivers it well, and under circumstances that leave him very vulnerable. Maya Erskine's Alice, on the other hand, is a masterpiece. It's clear early on she will be the first to fall, as we get glimpses of her tender heart behind walls of lovably obnoxious defensiveness from the beginning. Negging Ben's lanky frame comes off as a defense mechanism, rather than honesty, because honesty would take them out of their comfort zone, as she does early on, trying to be intimate with Ben. The movie takes time to tip their hand a little, and let you know part of her has always had a little thing for Ben. Erskine is sublime as the soulful, sometimes abrasive, sometimes joyous Alice. The brilliance of performance cannot be understated; it is the engine on which Plus One succeeds, lifelike, colorful, and so messily human. We know she's already a little into Ben, which spares us wondering why she fell for her thinly-written BFF. The much pricklier and cooler Ben has farther to come to the mountain, but you can see every little detail and attraction that pulls him along, thanks to much better writing and Erskine's wonderful performance. The supporting cast is okay, with the ever-amazing Ed Begley Jr at his Begley-est, painfully earnest and charmingly odd. The wedding vignettes are humorous, and used well as Ben and Alice grow into their mutual attraction and eventual romance, filled with witty repartee between the leads, and plenty of wedding cringe from the happy couples and their families. It was smart of the makers not to linger long on any of the background stuff - even the always-great Begley is a distraction, albeit one illustrating Ben's obtuse cruelty - because the movie works best when Ben and Alice are doing their BFF thing. I could have watched them interact for the entire runtime, leading nowhere, and still been just as entertained. Quaid is fantastic at being awkwardly self-assured, and Erskine is just mesmerizing when she turns on the humanity. Plus One won't blow your mind or break any new ground, but what it does, it does very, very well. So well you can forgive its hackneyed third act, especially Ben's paint-by-numbers declaration. It was the movie's biggest disappointment, really, after seeing Quaid and Erskine shine so brightly for and hour and a half, and if that's the worst I can say about it, then it's well worth a watch.
    With charming performances from its two leads, two college friends take each other to an endless amount of weddings and learn valuable lessons on love and friendships in this hilarious romcom.
    Parts of this movie literally made me laugh out loud. Great rom-com!
    This indie romcom is certainly laughter inducing and has promising characterization but falls deeply into romcom cliches in it's final act where the film ceases to be funny, heartwarming or interesting on any level.
    Erskine is absolutely fantastic and charming in this film. I haven't seen a more enjoyable pairing this year. Yes, ok, there may be some predicable moments in the storyline, but I was completely charmed out of thinking about that too much. Instead, I just wanted to see everything Erskine has done. Also, it felt like this was happening in real time. I don't know if they're just that great at acting, or if much of this was improved, but you definitely feel like a fly on the wall rather than watching something scripted.
    One of my favorite romantic comedies. The girl is hilarious. Champagne, "ok..."
    Likeable characters, good acting, and a nice story. Not relatable though :(