Pokémon Detective Pikachu

Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Ryan Reynolds is the star here. I thought it wouldn’t work but it did. Pikachu’s animation was emotional and nuanced. All the other actors were fine, they did their job well, acting was not an issue. The movie just seemed to be recycled from past films, down to a Penny clone from TMNT. The core story seemed like a revision of Zootopia’s and the character Tim’s bitterness towards his missing father was straight outta Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Aside from the only interesting thing about the film, the mystery of Tim’s father’s disappearance, everything else came to a pretty predictable ending. Yes, the visuals were cool and the action tense but it was hard for me to care about Tim at all. Within the first ten minutes he was established as a bitter, angry, constantly irritated person who really didn’t want anything to do with his missing father or his work. He lived in this world of Pokemon but wanted nothing to do with them, though he knew enough about them to be able to name them by sight. Odd. There were some questions I had too. Ryme City was built as a sanctuary for Pokemon and humans to live together in harmony, no battles allowed so...are the pokemon of the games prisoners? Didn’t that first guy at the beginning of the movie say the Pokemon has to pick YOU too? So they’re NOT prisoners? If not, why are humans considered a threat to “wild” Pokemon outside the city? They’re not naturally violent because the purple gas turns them feral and violent so what makes them a threat that humans become hunters? So much didn’t make sense. I did, however, enjoy the wrap up of the core mystery involving the father. That was at least satisfying despite the villain angle being sorely predictable. In the end, cool visuals (mostly), Ryan Reynolds carries the movie, nice central mystery surrounded by recycled movie subplots and predictable villains. C+
    QA Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet 7/7/2020 1:35:52 PM
    I grew up with pokemon as a kid and while I'm not that into pokemon as i uss to be this movie brings back the happiness the franchise gave me as kid. Probably the only movie that uses a crap ton of cgi that actually doesn't look bad. 10/10 i would recommend having someone watch this film.
    My family and I enjoyed the movie. It's filled with action.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Something that I enjoyed and relaxed after the entire excitement from Endgame, I can say this is a great Pokémon movie.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    Enjoyable! An excellent homage to Pokemon!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Por ser una adaptación de una serie animada está bien lograda, efectos y trama decente.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    movie was meh if only ryan renonds would stfu
    Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I honestly can't believe this got made, was so well received, or that Ryan Reynolds agreed to do this movie (hell, who can blame him for the check and game). The Pokemon almost look creepier than cute in most cases, and on top of that there IS A DRUG THAT MAKES THEM ACT NEAR RABID LEVELS OF VIOLENCE, thanks for the kids movie. Instead of letting us enjoy the wonderful world of Pokemon, we're shoehorned into a another special situation that waters down and ruins the experience. There is a whole world to explore, hundreds of stories to tell: just give us ONE without a supervillain. That said, the production work is pretty grand, even if it resulted in odd looking pocket monsters.
    This is one of the best movies ever. Charizard was kinda ugly.