Pokémon Detective Pikachu

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    It could've been waaaay better, but it also could've been worse.
    Sooo cute funny and heartwarming great soundtrack and great story and plot 10/10 one of my favorite movies this year but there are some better movies this year like joker endgame Shazam far from home and more!!! Still a really good movie definitely recommend it😉😉
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Strong story? Nope. Predictable? Yeah. But it sure is fun. Detective Pikachu is a nice time for Pokemon fans like myself. Even though the mystery could be solved early into the movie, I enjoyed the journey. Reynolds' take on PIkachu is delightful and this world is rich with potential, so I'd welcome a sequel or spin-off.
    Great family fun movie that won't Disappoint!! You have a great cast with names like Ryan Reynolds and Justice Smith, the CGI was 100% on point! How adorable is pikachu!!!!!, great story with a good balance of comedy and heart felt moments /lessons, and they nailed each pokemon's skill and quirks! Any OG Pokemon fan will appreciate and enjoy the movie.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    As a non-fan base, non-target audience viewer, I was hoping that Ryan Reynolds' involvement as the voice for Pikachu in Pokemon: Detective Pikachu will carry me through this movie adapted from the multi-million dollars video-game. I was wrong. While Reynolds is the best thing here, he is sanded down to a non-threatening kids-friendly version where most of his biting humour was removed. So much so that his occasional wise-cracking is just not enough to elevate what is at best a pretty average Scooby-Doo plot here. I'm sure the rules and various dazzling rendered creatures would make perfect sense if you know your Pokemon but to me, they seem made up as the film goes along and the ending is just a lot of seizure inducing nonsense that is both too much and too simple at the same time. Justice Smith's acting abilities are on the same level as his character's paper-thin characterization (is it deliberate and deliberately empowering that the female characters got more brain and behave more sensibly?) and the rest of the supporting cast are either underused (Ken Watanabe) or just coasting for a pay cheque (Bill Nighy). This can keep the young ones quiet for 104 mins but kinda pointless for everyone else.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Detective Pikachu has so much heart and for the most part it was a fun experience to see. Ryan Reynolds is absolutely fantastic as Pikachu, I really can't imagine anyone else as Pikachu. On the down side I really disliked Justice as Tim, he was a lifeless character that dragged down the movie. Justices acting choices just didn't work for me so I couldn't connect to his character and overall wanted him to leave the screen. Kathryns character was fine, she really didn't add much to the story but I guess she wasn't too distracting either. Overall this film has a lot of boring characters, the actual Pokémon are what's intriguing. The plot is very slow as first and feels like it drags too much but once the story picks up it goes wild. The twist at the end was actually very surprising to me, I'm sure for others it was obvious but I really wasn't expecting that. Mewtwo was also used very effectively in this film and I appreciated his part in the movie. Now the cgi was just fantastic, sure the Pokémon obviously looked cartoony but it perfectly balanced realism and cartoon. So besides flat characters and off pacing the film still boasted awesome cgi, a good story, and Ryan Reynolds stealing every scene.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    This movie was great I loved it so good I definitely recommend it and this gets a B+
    Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    an average kids movie that would be alot worse without pokemon in it
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    The movie surprises the viewer with plot twists and tense scenes. The joy of watching this movie is great and its even better if you played Pokemon as a child and used to wish Pokemon were real. The movie really perfects making the viewer think that Pokemon are real and that he characters are actually in this universe where Pokemon live along side humans. The story isn't that interesting overall but, in conclusion if you haven't watched this movie, please watch it.
    Awesome movie! Definitely worth watching again. The characters don’t look as bad as the Sonic Movie.