Profile

Man, do I love this format.
    When a london journalist goes undercover through facebook and skype to find how young women are traveling to syria to become jihadists wives...she goes a little too far.
    This film is loosely based on a true story from the book "In the Skin of a Jihadist" by Anna Erelle. It is filmed as a "Screenlife thriller" or "computer screen film." The entire film takes place on a computer screen through facetiming, direct messages, videos, google searches, etc... lots of clicking, screenshots, and opening multiple windows on the laptop (like Searching or Unfriend) and mixes real documentary footage with fictional social media and news posts. The story is about a journalist Amy/Melody who goes undercover on the internet propaganda channels posing as a young Islam convert, in order to attract ISIS recruiters, and investigate how they recruit women to their cause. As she connects with Bilel, a charming ISIS fighter from Syria, and begins talking to him regularly she starts to get pulled deeper into Bilel's world and begins crossing lines...for the sake of the story...or is she falling for him? Although the story is interesting and the acting is decent this won't be for every moviegoer (my husband hates these computer screen films.) The computer searches are fast and it's hard to read everything as she clicks around, opens and closes screens, apps, tabs, etc... lets just say, I used my rewind and pause button a lot... but it did hold my interest and I was curious to see how it ended, which was not disappointing. They close the film with an explanation of what happened to the real journalist. Not perfect, but entertaining and somewhat informational IMHO! Aug 2021.
    3 out of 5 stars. Profile is a fair computer screen thriller about a journalist doing a story on isis recruitment. Investigating when young girls decide to talk to guys in Syria. And being recruited into isis. The film is an interesting thriller. It taking place behind a computer screen. And watching the characters skype throughout can be tiresome. And lose its momentum. There are some scary moments on how much media can be used for isis to recruit and send there message to many of there followers. Decent cast. Decent thriller and direction that is easily forgotten.
    Not a masterpiece but interesting enough 3.4
    The story itself is true so if you view the movie as a documentary it is both enjoyable and suspenseful. Most of the movie plays out on a computer screen which is gimmicky but in this case works. The story becomes very interesting when the journalist begins to develop a relationship with the recruiter. All and all an interesting movie.
    The movie relies on the main character making unbelievably bad choices.
    Solid thriller about the most dangerous journalistic piece made possible, which is headlined by a great performance from Valene Kane. Its gets a little absurd towards the end, of thankfully doesn´t pushes its plot over the edge.
    Hmm it's actually a love story… A British journalist tried to infiltrate an ISIS group through Facebook and Skype, but she became increasingly too involved. Unfriended, Searching, Host, the Den are four of the most popular movies told entirely through a laptop and video-chatting apps that I have seen. This one, however, took a unique approach, and again it was another extremely fun and thrilling ride. The first half was not really something I expected. Our main character was a newbie, so she was anxious in setting up the apps and doing her job. This was the first part where I became very invested because I was as anxious as her and scared that something might go wrong and blew up the cover. Then, in the second half I was even more invested in the story. Our main character was clearly a newbie, and she became very deeply involved. I was screaming at the screen because of her stupid, reckless, and desperate actions. Things spiraled quickly, and even though I was pretty mad, I was also amazed at how invested I was in the story. It's not a negative that our character did stupid things, because her stupid actions can be rationalized from her perspective and what we were shown. As for negatives, first of all the movie dragged just a little bit. Things became crazier and crazier near the end, and even unrealistic at times. Also, common in these types of movies is how crazy fast the characters type. I liked that at least in this movie the character made lots of typo, but her typing was still too fast and accurate at times. There was also a logical issue with the recordings. From the beginning, we saw the main character's laptop screen as daily recordings, but the problem was that how was that screen recorded? Because she also had to use an app to record her conversations, which she didn't turn on all the time. Overall, the movie was a unique experience with great thrills and a story that I can invest on. 8.5/10
    trailers are miss leading but still was a good movie