Queen & Slim

Solid indie fare does right by the genre– equal parts entertainment and social message. Feels fresh, not just a refresh. Comparisons to 'Bonnie and Clyde' miss the point as the new pair are romantically entwined, but never intended to set out on the caper life. Unfolds with satisfying pleasures and lyrical measures. Honorable mention to Bokeem Woodbine as the ghetto fabulously domestic 'Uncle Earl'.
    Heavy, prescient, and very timely - this was released before the end of 2019! Kinda disturbing, def not a feel-good flick. Also, how many times is someone gonna point a gun on them as a joke - why is that a thing?! Some really good moments but also slow at times. Overall worth watching
    Lena is disturbed. To destroy such a wonderful team of actors and directors with such a disturbing ending is just senseless. Stop greenlighting these projects that get so lazy at the end. I can never get that 90 minutes back.
    I did not like it. This movie was filmed in 2018 and it just go to show the problems we have today where planned.
    "Queen & Slim" Is A Controversial 2019 Film Of A Modern Day Bonnie & Clyde. The Film Deals With The Issue Of Police Brutality, Its Negative Impact On The Black Community, And Its Massive Impact On Black Youth... When Two Unlikely Lovers Have To Defend Themselves From A Hostile Officer During A Traffic Stop, They Become Infamous Fugitives. Queen & Slim Must Escape To Cuba Before The Life Of Crime Consumes Them... I Thought That The Film Was Powerful. I Love The Film's Heartbreakingly Deep Message. The Story Was As Close To Real As It Gets. Black People Could Be Calm, Compliant, Cooperative, Or Even Crazy And We'd Get The Same Results. I Like That The Story Showed That There Are Corrupt Officers And Those That Are Just Doing Their Jobs. The Story Shows How The Media And Society Go About Handling These Officers, And Vice Versa. Director Melina Matsoukas Did A Fantastic Job Behind The Camera. The Way She Was Able To Build Tension, Suspense, And Several Other Deep Feelings That Our People Are All Too Used To Was Surprising Seeing That This Was Matsoukas's Feature Film Debut. Daniel Kaluuya Was Great As Usual In The Role Of Slim. I Love His Work, And I'm Ready For Him To Give Hollywood A Run For Its Money. As For Jodie Turner-Smith, She Did What She Needed To Do. She Was Beautiful On-Screen, But Her Character Was Iffy For Me. Queen Didn't Make Too Many Great Choices Throughout The Film, And Her Timing Was Often A Bit Sloppy To Say The Least. Queen & Slim Stands Out Amongst A Lot Of Films That Deal With Racial And Social Issues. The Perspective Is What Makes It Interesting. It Gives You A Behind-The-Scenes Look At The Thought Process Of Our People That Corrupt Officers Look At As "Criminals". Some Are Just Fighting For Their Lives And That's A Fact. I Think This Film Is Worth The Watch, But I Do Suggest That You Mentally Prepare To Watch It, Because It Does NOT Sugar Coat Anything. It Shows The Raw, And The Honest Truth Of What We Go Through. With That Said, I'll Give "Queen & Slim" An 83%.
    A refreshingly imperfect (but sincere) romance and a hesitance to descend into simplified identity politics make Queen & Slim a film that will likely only rise in stature with time. The film presents addresses race in the United States with an array of characters that refuse to be defined exclusively by the color of their skin, incorporating personal motivations, previous relationships, and independent perceptions on morality into their own decisions. A welcome entry into an area of race-focused film that has, for better or worse, been defined for years by name recognition of directors such as Spike Lee. (4.5/5)
    Predictable and lacking any subtlety or nuance. Ham handed and cartoonish in the delivery of the message.
    Painful to watch. Muddled script. Not worth the time.
    I missed Queen & Slim when it was in theaters, but always wanted to see it—which I did, last night. This movie is astonishing in its relevance today. Blacks v. Cops + systemic racism. But this story has a twist based on the complex character of Queen, brilliantly acted. She drives the momentum of the movie, and her relationship with Slim evolves with the plot. We need more movies like this one, which should awake white people to the realities of the black experience.
    Kind of a snooze. Ridiculous plot too that she would run and then get shot at the end.