critic Reviews, 63% Fresh Tomatometer Score
- Though there are more characters and plotlines, and the action sequences still dazzle, Spider-Man 3 nonetheless isn't quite as refined as the first two.
- , Fresh Tomatometer ScoreDavid StrattonAt the Movies (Australia)
Spider-Man 3 is the longest film in the series so far, and perhaps it tries to pack in rather too much. But it's intelligently directed by Sam Raimi and, with all those eye-popping set pieces, it's certainly never boring.
- , Rotten Tomatometer ScoreRyan GilbeyNew Statesman
The breeziness that was so refreshing in the other episodes has been largely replaced by the kind of misery and moping that we can get from any old superhero.Read full article
- , Rotten Tomatometer ScoreBob MondelloNPR.org
At 141 minutes, this supe-opera is seriously overextended, with four distinct subplots and way too much hand-wringing over things like the heroine's singing career.Read full article
- , Rotten Tomatometer ScoreRoger EbertChicago Sun-Times
Too many villains, too many pale plot strands, too many romantic misunderstandings, too many conversations, too many street crowds looking high into the air and shouting "oooh!" this way, then swiveling and shouting "aaah!" that way.Read full article
- , Fresh Tomatometer ScoreJoe WilliamsSt. Louis Post-Dispatch
Notwithstanding a cute scene in which Peter enlists suave maitre d' Bruce Campbell to help him propose to Mary Jane, director Sam Raimi's juggling of the comedy and the action is unusually flat-footed.
- , Rotten Tomatometer ScoreNick SchagerLessons of Darkness
A hollow shell of a saga devoid of both thrilling action and rousing passion.Read full article
- , Fresh Tomatometer ScoreMike MassieGone With The Twins
Raimi, perhaps pressured by the fan base or studio executives, has tried to cram too much into this third - and presumably last - chapter of this hugely popular property.Read full article
- , Rotten Tomatometer ScoreRichard PropesTheIndependentCritic.com
Runs about 20-30 minutes too long and, at times, falls victim to its visual and action excesses.Read full article
- , Rotten Tomatometer ScoreJoanne LaurierWorld Socialist Web Site
...remarkable achievements toward an unremarkable end...Read full article
- , Fresh Tomatometer ScoreDavid LambleBay Area Reporter
Spider-Man 3 is almost an embarrassment of riches, with villains and subplots almost sufficient to fuel a fourth installment.Read full article