Tenet

, 70% Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • A visually dazzling puzzle for film lovers to unlock, Tenet serves up all the cerebral spectacle audiences expect from a Christopher Nolan production.
    Isaac FeldbergInverse
    Nolan prioritizes the dense audiovisual spectacle of his most narratively complex films. Beyond the intellectual, they exist primarily, and more accessibly, as experiences. Put another way: Tenet is a vibe.
    Tim RobeyMonocle
    As a delivery system for the thrills, I think the film gets a long way, and you can kind of sit back and enjoy it. As a delivery system for the ideas, I think it trips itself up an awful lot.
    Nick SchagerThe Daily Beast
    Something like the epitome of [Nolan's] temporally twisty canon, distilling his many cinematic signatures and preoccupations down to their entrancing abstract essence.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Tim CogshellFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    [Christopher Nolan] is very clever, but mostly irritating is what I find. [His movies] are not cerebral - they're fake cerebral... He doesn't even do the time travel right.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Christy LemireFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    I am a big fan of [Christopher Nolan's] films -- I usually enjoy the time puzzle of it -- but this seems even more intentionally inaccessible and challenging than everything else... Confusing, distancing, and chilly.
    G. Allen JohnsonSan Francisco Chronicle
    "Tenet" is indeed impressive, although I gave up trying to follow the plot.
    Alex BehanStuff.co.nz
    [A] stylish espionage thriller.
    Robin HolabirdKUNR
    Never slowing down to explain much or allow a passive moment, Tenet almost requires a second or third viewing, all part of the Nolan pattern that creates moneymaking blockbusters.
    Lawrence GarciaIn Review Online
    Tenet fails to convince as either dramatic or action spectacle, let alone as philosophical investigation ... [it's] a house of cards, built only to be toppled over.
    Andrew KendallStabroek News
    Even as Tenet engages in loads of hand-wringing about the implications the characters' actions have for the future, it's hard to really form any worry for that future that exists only in prolepsis.