The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

, 56% Rotten Tomatometer Score
  • The Devil Made Me Do It represents a comedown for the core Conjuring films, although Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson keep the audience invested.
    Stephen RomeiThe Australian
    I watched this with my 16-year-old son and we liked it, peeking through our fingers and laughing in equal measure.
    Kimber MyersCrooked Marquee
    With its third-act stumbles, it never quite catches either The Conjuring or The Conjuring 2, but it proves there is still spirit left in this franchise.
    Tara BradyIrish Times
    The biographical nuts and bolts are intriguing and, as ever, the jump scares and murk are professionally timed and delivered.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Jenny NulfAustin Chronicle
    It's disappointing to stop rooting for a blockbuster behemoth horror series, but The Conjuring movies' quality and talon-tight hold has rapidly deflated over time.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Amy NicholsonFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    I don't find these films frightening, but the Warrens as a couple -- with their daffy, retro updos that look quasi-Victorian and Brady Bunch -- have grown on me by this point. They're just dorky, and I like watching them hang out.
    James BerardinelliReelViews
    It's an adequate horror movie with the requisite atmospherics and jump-scares, and it provides Conjuring fans with their fix. However, as the latest chapter of what is now a trilogy, it's a disappointment.
    Matt HudsonWhat I Watched Tonight
    Fans of the franchise will enjoy this competent slice of modern horror but it's hard not to want more scares from these movies.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Witney SeiboldCritically Acclaimed Podcast
    No longer interested in scares, we'll have to settle for a high-octane Amityville/Exorcist riff with shotguns in it. Sometimes this is effective. Mostly, it's dumb.
    Jason ShawhanNashville Scene
    Eugenie Bondurant turns up as a mysterious occultist, and she's the big find. She has an Alice Krige demeanor and a stride like a stop-motion puppet.
    Allison RoseFlickDirect
    The third installment in The Conjuring series, offers much of the same look and feel as the first two films while not necessarily being quite as scary.