The Legend of Molly Johnson

Perfect adaptation and credit to all.
    Honestly I love Westerns. And I thought the Cast was Amazing. But the Story was Slow, It bounced around WAY WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much. It was a bit depressing. But mostly hard to follow. They did Flashback segments that took and looked exactly like regular segments. But I think after re-jumbling it up... But Ill try to describe the sequence of events based on time which trust me was hard enough to understand the way they did it... SPOILERS: The Wife was supposedly Daughter of a Black Man (Tho looks White as snow) And somehow the Black guy knew her family lineage. Then this Wife killed her Husband in self defense. Which only the main Son knew about (Which she had other children and theyre never focused on or anything). Tho she was already pregnant again with the Drovers child. The new Sheriff shows up with his Wife Mrs.TotallyNotGonnaDie who has the Disney cough. After that later on Random Black Criminal comes to this womans house... Just Luck? I guess. (Tho they hinted at connection and mentioned said mother eventually but defiantly not clearly) He's a criminal that killed people. Tho not much fleshed out on his murders. They have his give a large amount of exposition on it later but with the amount of jumps in the movie. Seeing his backstory wasnt one they felt was needed. He helps deliver the baby. When you first see her with the baby you think everything is great then they shove it in a box and you take it as the baby died at birth. Which was sad but not uncommon back then. After the Black guy starts to become more with the family. And despite being wanted for Death. He doesnt change his look for over half the time hes there. He eventually gets boots. And changes clothes. But refused to shave or look like someone who isnt a wanted murderer. A Cop shows up eventually saying "OMG Thats a criminal" And gets killed by Drovers Wife... Which you think the Black Guy would IDK... Change his look? NOPE He looks too damn good for that. Well soon after 2 of the Drovers friends show up outta nowhere practically and kill the Black Guy (Cause they hate Blacks) And Rape The Drovers Wife. Which seems again weird when theyre supposedly friends of Drover and that this woman freaked out over any little noise but somehow didnt hear 2 guys on horseback coming in. And conveniently was the 1 time the Wife didn't have the gun in her hands for 20 seconds. Also weirdly the Son was there and listen to his Mom get banged (Cant say the other word do to Rotten Tomatoes) And even after the training sessions. I thought this wouldve been the payoff for his skill but there later 'Pay-off' Was a nothing burger. Which speaking of that. The Drovers Wife picks up the other Mystery Kids... Who arent developed in the least. And she starts heading out. But a guy with a gun robs and tries to rape her. And I think she kills him. But idk how... Maybe biting his wiener off. But no blood... And coincidentally the sheriff shows up after this like 2 mins later. Finding her on her knees after being forced by the other dude obviously and him laying there dead... With again maybe his wiener in her mouth? Obviously they cut away at that point. But I was soooooooooo lost. But she was tried and marked with Murder of I think atleast 3 Men. I think her Husband, The Police Officer, And The Dude she bit the dick off of. Tho they shouldve been able to clear atleast 1 of those. Also there was a "Anti-Battery" Group that was Pro-Woman on the side of Drovers Wife... Tho she killed a Police Officer and they somehow found that out. She was fucked at that point. After I believe they had a future scene for the kid I believe? Maybe it was a Past Scene with her father??? I have no idea. But did I have a good time with the Movie? Yeah. But I still wouldnt recommend. The Conveniences, The bouncing all over the place. The overall feel of the Movie was bland. Great Actors, Heavy Moments, Okay scenario. Meh Script. I even like edgy. But this didnt feel edgy. It felt lacking.
    Decent. Started off strong, but man, somewhere in there things got a little muddled. Started to drag.
    Another lecture on how ignorant our ancestors were, tedious.
    Worthwhile topic and fine acting from the lead. I had a difficult time engaging with the emotional narrative, which was imho clunky and "wet" to use an australianism. Also, what should have been a few frame stories (Sgt. Nate for example) were flabby and superlative. A do-over would tighten the narrative, disengage clumsy attempts at wit and charm and keep the gradual backstory reveal. So as not to pick on Ozzy film, as a Canadian I experience much of our cinema as distastefully sentimental as well, with quite a few exceptions.
    A powerful story of settler Australia and the dark history of colonisation. Love, loss and tragedy played out with intensity and passion. The themes of racism and oppression of women continue over the centuries. Set in the beautiful high country of southern NSW it's a must see.
    The Drover's Wife (2021) is a powerful, incisive movie that tells the story of a lonely bushwoman who struggles to raise her children and run the family farm while her husband is away. The movie is both a touching portrait of a mother's love and a searing indictment of the isolation and racism that continue to plague rural Australia. Leah Purcell (who also wrote and directed) gives a powerhouse performance as the title character, bringing both strength and vulnerability to her portrayal of a woman who is fighting for her survival in a hostile environment. Rob Collins, as Yadaka, the Indigenous drover who comes to her aid, is also excellent, and the two have a great chemistry on screen. The cinematography by Mark Wareham is breathtaking, and the Australian landscape is captured in all its harsh beauty reflecting the harshness of what first nation people had to endure following white settlement. The Drover's Wife is a slow-paced movie, but it's never dull. Purcell takes her time to develop the characters and their relationships, and the result is a deeply moving film that will stay with you long after the credits have rolled. The soundtrack by Salliana Seven Campbell is also worth mentioning. It's haunting and beautiful, and it perfectly complements the mood of the movie although, on just a few occasions, it didn't quite resonate, for me, with what was happening on screen. The Drover's Wife explores many themes in multiple layers. For example, the relationship between the drover and his wife is complicated by the fact that he is away for long periods of time, and she is left to fend for herself and their children. There's also the issue of race, as Yadaka is constantly reminded that he is an outsider in a white man's world. And then there are the themes of isolation, both literal and metaphorical, as well as the tyranny of distance. Purcell has said that she wanted to make a movie about love, loss, grief, and country. And she has succeeded admirably. The Drover's Wife is a stunning achievement. It's must-see.
    Absolutely brutal but excellent film. Acting is amazing and it's just so good to see such a high quality Australian movie.
    A lot of (Australian) people don't like Australian movies. This one takes us back to the glory days with a solid story, good script, characters and across-the-board acting. With the broadest part of the germ of the idea picked from Henry Lawson's short story The Drovers wife (1892), it examines the life of a woman living an isolated life with her children in Australia's Snowy Mountains while her drover husband is away with the cattle. As the layers of the story unpeel the complexity of life on the frontier are revealed. Life is hard and Purcell's character, Molly Johnson, battles to protect and provide for her kids. Reflecting Henry Lawson's drover's wife she's their protector, but this is where the stories depart. This film looks at themes and issues, as current today as they were in the 1800s. Rob Collins is great as Yadaka an aboriginal man on the run, as is Malachi Dower-Roberts who plays Molly's son, Danny. He forms a friendship with Yadaka which helps build trust between Molly and Yadaka whose back-story is interesting and central to the film. Sam Reid plays Sergeant Klintoff who's come to the high country from the UK via South Africa with his wife, Louisa (Jessica De Gouw). He's a good man with a tough job in a small settlement and a vast territory to cover. This is a movie of secrets, about heroism and toughness, and ultimately is positive. Some will say some of the issues (black/white, male/female relations) dealt with are heavy-handed, but I don't think so. It's what happened and is put together to depict the realities of life on the frontier of 'civilisation'. Some of the key points are so subtle you don't realise it's happening until the horse has bolted and destinies are set. There are gaps in the story (for example, how does a very remote place with a minute population have a resident Magistrate let alone a Judge?), but they're not serious, and at the end you're left with an overall satisfaction and in my case, a sense of optimism. Written, produced, directed and acted by Leah Purcell - big job, well done.
    Brutal but in all the necessary ways. This kind of storytelling is way overdue in Australia. Looking forward to more.