The Nest

It surprised me to see the low audience score on this. It's a beautifully constructed movie. Durkin delivers without cause for concern as to whether or not he is pandering to the modern audience's lack of focus. It's a powerful story told within the confines of a world that dominated the 1980's hippie era. Law and Coon are a force on screen. Of note is the way Carrie delivers her facial expressions conveying a simmering pain under her sophisticated exterior. The association to symbolic gestures in the movie concerning the horse and the house are all wonderful choices. The director has been fearless in his decisions to produce a slow burn, simmering piece of cinema which is sure to be heralded as a masterpiece once it has reached enough considered movie goers eyeballs.
    An ordinary movie about an ordinary family that moves to the UK from the USA and continue having money problems, going to work, going to school, going to parties, arguing, and eating meals together... and that's about it. It's like 90 minutes of a really good start to something and then it just ends.
    Please do not waste nearly two hours of your life with this less than mediocre drivel. There is no plot, there is no story. It's utter rubbish. How Mr Law can associate himself with this dire tirade
    What a horrid, pointless, boring movie. Billed as a thriller, there is no tension in the film and no threat to cause tension - really. There's no stalker, no murderer, no blackmailer, no mystery. There's nothing to cause tension. It's basically about a dishonest person and the family he moves from the States to the UK chasing big business deals that never materialize. The kids hate their new school, the wife hates their new home and the husband acts like he's wealthy when he's actually broke. That's the story....no point and no ending. I mean, the ending literally is (spoiler alert?) them sitting down to eat breakfast. That's the end. A horrible waste of time.
    Slow, tense, painful
    Absolute meandering drivel. shallow story line with nothing to hold the viewers interest
    If the trailer prepared me for yet another indie drama dissecting a marital breakdown that I've seen numerous times before (thanks, Noah Baumbach!), the subtle, economical and precise manner writer-director Sean Durbin opens his film and lays out the relationships and tensions within the O'Hara family certainly piqued my interests and almost made me look forward to the rest of the film. Jude Law and Carrie Coon plays the central couple, one Brit, one American, negotiating life in American suburbia before Law's ambitious and restless Rory upends everyone's lives by moving the family to England. However, as the indie drama charts the different challenges arising from this relocation, the plotting begins to feel familiar, if not predictable, as events slowly deepen their feeling of isolation and despair that we already sensed they're facing. Durkin's grounded screenplay thankfully resisted melodramatic cliches, which were set up but never come to fruition, though I did find the step-daughter's arc inconsistently and less organically written than the others. Atmospherically constructed with an underlying sense of dread and dreariness, the film hints, momentarily, of a genre surprise or at least a narrative detour, but they are quickly and abruptly abandoned, like when a tinge of horror and the supernatural creep in when Coon's wife Allison finds a locked door suddenly left ajar in the old mansion house she's practically imprisoned in (or is it a metaphor? Because this film loves a metaphor); or a brief interlude introducing Anne Reid as Rory's mother that feels like we've switched over to a Mike Leigh film that I wouldn't mind staying longer for. While Durkin clearly demonstrates his skills as a director and Law and Coon give nuanced and affecting performances, it's also drenched in indie drama tropes that I find somewhat hard to get particularly excited about.
    I went to see it with two friends, each of us kept from looking at the other, waiting for something to actually happen, or make sense. When the film ended for no clear reason with a blank screen, we burst out laughing at the stupidity and uselessness of this awful film
    Loved the movie. Great acting and interesting storyline, with lots of suspense. Would have loved to see their next move.
    Ultimately negative and totally disappointing.