The Nest

This movie could have been great--and Jude Law and Carrie Coons did a lot with what they were given. But the ending of this movie, or close to it, should have been the beginning of the story. I'm not sure that there really was an ending, just a "well, what's going to happen next". And nobody knows.
    Horrible! Zero plot but very slow also! Yuk
    Sad, depressing, without any redeeming features.
    Strong acting throughout. It's a slow burning drama that doesn't contain many thrilling scenes.
    This may very well be the most overly rated movie in Rotten Tomatoes history. What the heck is there to like about this movie that the critics gave it a 89??? Wacky stuff. This is a bad movie. It goes nowhere. They start out as normal people and then dissolve and we have no real idea why and really don't care. It offers nothing. Jude Law can be a phenomenal actor when properly used by a director. Here he tries but has nothing to work with. There's no depth at all in the story or the characters. Have you ever left a movie where you really love the characters and would love to know them in real life? Well this isn't THAT MOVIE!!! Incredibly overly rated.
    The movie starts very slow for about 30 minutes in which basically nothing happens. Long sequences and musical background, but that's it. I was expecting a psychological thriller, however this movie wasn't anything close to that, but rather a nerveless drama. Most of the time you're waiting for something to happen, but the movie leaves it just there. Overall I think the story had much potential, but the conflict of the main characters was barely touched and the plot ends very abrupt, without any conclusion whatsoever. The movie kind of saves itself with the acting. All the actors did a solid job and tried to give this overall plain plot more depth.
    Well... overall, I liked it. There's so much here, yet so much missing at the same time. The theme had enough depth to make a compelling story, but there wasn't enough happening in the story to really bring it home. It was very slow, to the point where you could look at your phone and not miss anything. I really felt what the characters were going through; I just wish there was more of a culminating plot to really pull the audience into the story. Instead, it played like ongoing vignettes. I got the point; I understood the stakes, but the story was written in a way to eliminate any possibility of a climax.
    I'm never sure what makes critics so keen (or so "down") on any given movie, but they seem to like this one. I have to be honest and say that when I watch a movie, I don't want one that "makes you think" or "challenges your assumptions", etc. etc. I watch movies to be ENTERTAINED. I want to kick back and watch an interesting storyline, great acting and an ending that ties everything up. I want sheer escapist, entertaining fare. I have enough drama in my own life.
    The pacing is very slow and the conflict isn't interesting. The camera movements and the shooting looks unprofessional. The music it's not well chosen. The same theme is played repeatedly when you think something it's about to happen but nothing is. Many scenes are short and don't have anything to do with the movie. The psychological aspect of the movie could have saved it but the writing and the lines delivered by the actors are bad. Here we can see that the writer had a clear intention for the message of the movie but the delivery was awful. If you want to be bored and lose time watch this movie.
    Why is this categorized as a thriller? It is clearly a plain ol' drama. I kept expecting something nefarious to take place. There would be an open door That was just shut and locked mysteriously back open, the young boy started to act weird. The family horse suddenly drops dead for no apparent reason. I understand this was the family mentality unraveling in the situations they were experiencing but I feel we were tricked as viewers thinking something more was happening. The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because it was acted well and they were entertaining. A new Carrie Coon fan here.