The Nest

The film's unresolved ending, which was like the ending of the TV series "The Sopranos," is the reason for my 3-star rating. Unlike The Sopranos, there is not enough depth to the film to warrant such an ending. It felt like the director lost interest or focus and just stopped. The characters and the threads their stories contribute to the film's overall story are compelling and deserve better.
    A mother's reality erodes around her as she struggles to fathom the entangled web of her daughter's separation anxiety brought on by parasitic creatures within a stuffed bear in The Nest, a super creepy atmospheric film that will trigger your ‘oh this is going to be strange' alarms straight from the offset. Written by Jennifer Trudrung and directed by James Suttles, The Nest (also known as The Bewailing) has a great cast (including genre favourite Dee Wallace as Marrisa) and a fantastic performance by Maple Suttles as ‘Meg' ‘The Nest' is a beautiful film to watch and listen to (with a very haunting score by Neil Lee Griffin ( Dusk Series) which will keep those nerves on the very edge. To review The Nest is a tricky one, especially without spoilers but lets just say that after watching this film, you wont ever feel the need to pick up a bear at a yard sale. Just don't!!! Don't do it! So if you like your films creepy, atmospheric and one that will get under your skin, do check it out! Even more so if you have a child who perhaps….might just be behaving a little differently than they used to.
    This is an absolute masterpiece of horror, shat from the brain-butt of David Cronenberg. A sister piece, I believe, of Mike Flanagan's Absentia(2011). I fear that many will look at the teddy-bear aspect and make the mistake of approaching this film as camp. I think folks look for reasons to laugh off truly great horror, because they are afraid of being afraid. What is so remarkable about this work is that the fear is driven (more than any horror film I have ever seen, I think) by the most masterful acting. "I need you to be my queen." I shudder now at the memory of my first viewing, 2 days ago. And I hope I will dream about it tonight. Like I did, so long ago, after defying my parents and watching The Brood. Because I LOVE nightmares.
    Entertaining a bit but after watch until end Queen come at the ending scene further how doesn't the parasite born without Queen that a stupid movie is it from toys??
    awful. i like the premise, but this is not good.
    Creepy but not by any means original premise and not bad ending, but a laborious slog getting there. Fifteen minutes of plot turned into an hour and a half of mega-boredom.
    A film that offers more to the parasite horror movie sub-genre than it will be given credit for. Largely to blame is the title's sluggish nature and blown-out run-time. There is a lot at play when it comes to the human side of The Nest and for that, it deserves to be seen. For the full review see vanessasnonspoilers.com
    Wow, this is one seriously slow, pointless, boring film. The plot was aimless for so long, the music was relentless, and the payoff could not save the first 90 minutes of this movie. The performers did a fine job, and the film looked okay, it was just really boring, and rarely creepy or scary.
    When Meg and her mother Beth visit a yard sale, the little girl finds a stuffed bear that just may help with her separation anxiety. Soon, she's dragging the bear everywhere she goes and will only talk to and thrrough it while hoarding supplies for her imaginary friend. What if — and I'm just spitballing here — that bear has a parasitic bug creature inside it? Well, welcome to The Nest, which is one of the weirdest and goofiest — in a good way — films I've seen this year. Beth and Jack have been having some dark days, what with her drug addiction and the financial damage it has done to their marriage. Now living in the home of a recently deceased family member, they try and start all over but are only growing further apart. Now, not only is Meg overly attracted to her bear, but their family friend Marisa (Dee Wallace!) and Jack are overly attached to Meg, creating this strange circle of weirdness, all while the painkillers Beth needs to get past a brutal fall down the steps give her nightmarish visions of parasitic creatures that are using her family for sustenance. So yeah — if you watch one movie about an otherwordly bug that lives inside a teddy bear named Ricky that possesses a young girl and makes her drug-addicted mother doubt reality — actually there's no other movie like that. The last scene of this made me laugh at its utter audacity and I consider that a triumph.
    This feels like a cash grab. I feel like it's no coincidence that after an explosion in vinegaroon sitings, there's now a horror movie involving vinegaroons...honestly feels shameless and presents them as some sort of abominable parasite when they are the farthest from it. I just cannot respect a movie that takes a misunderstood creature and tries to make it as scary as it looks. They actually make fantastic pets! As for the movie itself, meh. Maybe I'm just jaded to a lot of horror now, but it felt unoriginal. Really I couldn't get past the misrepresentation of vinegaroons to give this anything past 2 stars.