The Old Ways

Absolutely fantastic. The first movie in over a decade to legitimately scare me without a jumpscare. The movie jumps straight into the mess. No pre-credit spook, no 20 minute set up. You are led through the same thoughts as the protagonist, left to wonder how much has an explanation and how much is supernatural, until it's obvious which it is. The acting is superb. The use of English and Spanish works. Everyone has great chemistry together.
    Boring, idiotic, pointless, predictable, made on a very low budget...5 actors and one set?
    A near perfect possession story with layer after layer of social commentary.
    Great movie, nice to have Christian ideals removed from the equation in a modern movie
    Talk about going pretty far for a story. Cristina Lopez, a Mexican-American reporter, has come back to her hometown near Veracruz — do I needlessly need to remind horror movie characters to never go home again — to write about witchcraft when she became the story itself as the bruja believes that Cristina is possessed. Well, you know, when your mother was possessed and that demon left you all scratched up too, you kind of become a suspect. That demon could also be her heroin addiction. Just maybe. Or maybe it is the demon Postehki, who makes her throw up hair and black ooze. Or maybe it's both? Regardless, Cristina must live up to the title — the old ways — to become the bruja of her village and successfully repel the demon — and others like it — once and for all. I really liked how this film blended Mexican folk horror with the traditional possession film moments. Director Christopher Alender and writer Marcos Gabriel worked together on Memorial Day way back in 1999 before returning to their horror roots. With the success of this film, I can say that some people can go home again. There's an amazing moment when teeth and snakes get pulled out of Cristina. It only gets wilder from there.
    this was actually a good movie , it started slow but after the middle it kept getting better . i didnt expect it . the storyline / characters and lore was nice . the effects good and not over the top , costumes and music pretty good too!
    Lifetime movies have more punch than this paint-by-numbers nonsense.
    Oddly different for sure but too much of a slow burn to be fully satisfying. There's definitely a voice here in this exorcism movie deeply focused on a long continuus process of chasing a too much unseen demon to be really scary but is saved by a spooky ambiance and great visuals.
    The Old Ways does an excellent job at directing the plot. The movie moves at a quick speed, yet it still manages to leave an effect on me. The video "guided" viewers into a difficult-to-describe sense of terror by using a narrow, black background. The actors, on the other hand, were not very impressive. That, though, was far too excellent for the acting. Movies can delve further into topics like drugs, witchcraft, and so on, but this one does not (this is a rather unfortunate point in the film). In terms of the horror genre in general, and the exorcism genre in particular, this is an amazing film.
    This needed a little more character development for the Christina that way we would have cared more about the events. Decent practical effects...just ok. Full review below: I published my new episode The Old Ways, please check it out https://www.podbean.com/ea/pb-y4s24-10d4a1a