The Painted Bird

Stunning, riveting movie. Not for the faint hearted
    Powerfully disturbing. Gorgeous cinematography.
    This movie is underrated. It is very heavy emotionally speaking and yet it is powerful, poignant. Sometimes a story doesn’t have a silver lining and the take away is a peek into human resilience. We have to be okay with this side of life too.
    I read this book many years ago and was shocked as a young reader, but I couldn't look away either. The same could be said about the movie adaptation of The Painted Bird. Is it a work of art? Yes. However, like the Joker it is hollow at the core. It has no humanity, spirit, or sense of morality, maybe like the times we live in now. So why did so many hard core viewers walk out of the Venice Film Festival? Maybe because it presents extreme violence against women and animals, among the most vulnerable of our species. And it is strangely nihilistic in an unpleasant way. Yet I couldn't look away and the movie wither draws you in in a titillating way like The Joker. Wow, if you like a strongly artistic movie, much of which is repulsive and stomach turning, you'll probably like it, if you can find any core of decency in it.
    Even it's an old story but you can find lots of similarities between the present world! Good work