The Peanut Butter Falcon

The title grabbed me and the trailer reeled me in. Still wasn't too sure what to expect. What I got was Shia LaBeouf at his best. The debut of Zack Gottsagen was incredible. Bruce Dern showed he still has it. Solid performances by Dakota Johnson and Thmas Haden Church. Of course we can't leave Jake Roberts out either. Classic buddy "road"movie that is not so much about redemption, but more about fixing what is broken in one's life. Sweet without being over saccharin.
    Captivating from start to finish. Great story, great writing, great casting. In my opinion, not for under 13 year olds. It's a little rough around the edges, but fine for teens.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    The Peanut Butter Falcon tells a heartwarming tale about what it means to be a family; mixed in is a great message about the importance of humanity and understanding. Shia LaBeouf, Dakota Johnson, and Zach Gottsagen all shine in this great film that, except for a few plot details perhaps not being fleshed out enough, does just about everything right.
    Beautiful film. Very good, a must see.
    Really one of the best movies I’ve seen in years.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    "Friends are the family you choose" is the takeaway quote from Peanut Butter Falcon; start printing it on throw pillows. The North Carolina Outer Banks — or "OBX" as the bumper stickers say — serve as the setting for this retelling of the Huckleberry Finn story. Our piecemeal gang is comprised of Tyler (Shia LaBeouf), the thief and fisherman/crabber/whatever he can get into his old boat, Zak (Zach Gottsagen), a living-facility escapee with downs syndrome who plans to train as a WWE wrestler, and Eleanor (Dakota Johnson), who gets bent over the "spanking-bench" and… wait, wrong movie, who has at least a master's degree, maybe a Ph.D., I can't remember, and works/volunteers at the same living-facility. It's a wholesome movie with a collection of characters ranging from convenience store clerk offering an unmarked bottle of hooch, the blind preacher who must save your soul and performs a baptism, the pair of rednecks (John Hawkes and Yelawolf) whomst you hath slighted and are tailing you to settle the score, and the idolized, washed-up wrestler (Thomas Haden Church) now living in a trailer — I just want to add that I love Thomas Haden Church and really wish he was in more shit. Yeah, it's a tug-on-your-heartstrings film, pure indie-bait, but I think we need these movies and I don't mean that in a condescending way. It's a sweet film that doesn't become saccharine. It has gorgeous shots of a (surprisingly) not often shot location and puts a disabled actor at the front and center without using him as a punching bag for laughs. The only time you laugh at Zak is when he flies ten feet in the air after firing a shotgun — something that would certainly happen to this gun noob. I also loved that they played on the "Down's people have super-strength" myth, both at the beginning with the jailbreak and at the wrestling match climax. And who doesn't enjoy a full-circle ending, with the new "family" leaving OBX and moving to Florida… for some reason.
    I absolutely adored this film. It is one of the few films I would watch several times over without being bored. I loved it!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    A fun, charming delight
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    The feeling you get from watching this movie is incredible. You want to get up and do the thing you love. Inspiring movie with a beautiful message. Recommend to watch.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Hits everyone note in the paint by numbers playbook.Just too sugary sweet for my taste.