The Personal History of David Copperfield

A great humane story of overcoming hardships and finding the joy in life. Add about 30-40% to the audience score, as many people are punishing the movie for colorblind casting.
    After such a long drought this movie was perfect. Witty, diverse and anything but boring.
    One of the best movies I have ever seen
    Boring! To many lose ends make you wondering. Very confusing. See other reviews as they are spot on.. I in only saw movie because I like Dev Patel. I left but early it was so bad.
    So many plot-holes. So many opportunities missed to actually tell the REAL story Dicksons wanted to convey. This was a heartless rendering of diversity stunts and production design that lacked the beauty of storytelling Dickens is so good at.
    Well we all know why the press is giving this movie high marks. It's not because it's actually a good movie...I wish media was more honest with themselves.
    I think the only reason critics gave this good reviews is because it's pushing diversity outside of that they really excused a lot of issues this movie has when it comes to telling a cohesive story...
    Tough to successfully get dickens book squished into a 2h movie. That's the problem here we don't care about any of the characters cause there is no time to get to know the characters really. Feels like director was more focused on set design than story telling.
    I usually like these period book dramatizations films, but this one left me scratching my head. I was OK with the diverse cast in a historical piece, however, an Asian lead playing David Copperfield, but with white parents??? Was he adopted??? Don't know, bcos it's not mentioned?? There were a few laughs and good individual performances but to be honest, I didn't know what was going on most of the time. I didn't hate it, I just didn't get it??? Not sure what I just watched?? I rented the video from Sky, and thus felt obliged to watch the film to the end. It will probably win loads of awards from the arty farty brigade, I just wish I could get the time back I wasted watching this mess!
    Loved it! The true diversity of the cast, where relatives weren't played by actors of similar ethnicities, was (unfortunately) groundbreaking and did not distract from the story at all. I feel by casting each actor based on their potential portrayal of the role, embracing their ethnicity and not excluding anyone based on this, the performance of the entire cast was lifted to a higher level. I can't wait to see more truly diverse casts in major productions as this was long overdue. Patel's performance was marvelous and the story heartbreaking at times, exuberantly witty at others.