The Photograph

Light romance. So this is about a journalist (LaKeith Stanfield) doing some research and crossing paths with an attractive art curator (Issa Rae). They seem to have instant chemistry, but can they make it work when their life paths appear to be headed in different directions? Now I knew some limited information about this one, but it was not enough to grab my immediate attention. I heard positive things for what this movie does, but I was also told that it came with a healthy serving of shortcomings. I'm glad that I waited for the home market on this one because that seems to be the ideal setting to watch this. Now even though I don't have a glowing review for this movie, I do have to say that I want to see more movies like this, mainly because this is a predominately black cast and they're simply normal people. There's not a big racial message and it is refreshing. That's not to say that those movies aren't supremely important (i.e. Detroit, 12 Years a Slave), but I think we can all admit that struggle movies can be emotionally exhausting. Also, this movie takes a huge step away from negative stereotypes and paints everybody in a positive light; nobody is going to jail, living in squalor, committing crimes, or confronting bigots, it is just two people living their lives. All that said, I do think that The Photograph is light to a fault, and I like what the movie stands for more than the actual film itself. The plot is exceedingly simple, and there reaches a point right around the middle where it starts to stall. It does get by on the acting abilities of Stanfield and Rae, but really, so much of this movie is them making moon eyes at each other. Even still, I was mostly with it when it is the two of them, but half this movie is told in flashback, and it is constantly interrupting the flow of what little story is progressing. I do think that there is an audience out there, and I would never call this bad. It's flawed, and I do feel like there should have been more time spent in the writing process because there isn't a lot that happens. However, I did love the bluesy score in this a whole lot, and it is surprisingly one of the best soundtracks of the year that I can think of. We need to normalize movies like this, and I wish that I could recommend it more.
    This is movie is not telling how we meet today. If we're going to make a movie, we gotta keep it real. This is not how we roll. Danzell needs to start producing. MB
    I only give it two because I love both the main actors and I know the movie has its audience I'm just most certainly not one of them!!! I was so bored with this thank god for my wife and her boney elbow. Or there would have probably been a ton of pissed movie goers in my theater once my snoring hit it crescendo!!! Though if I had been alone I would have left to avoid said situation. I am a movie lover but I can't stand for this one. SORRY... I can say the depiction of black love I do love though!!!
    Could of taken it or left it. The more interesting part for me was her mother’s story. Everything else made me feel...nothing. Sorry to say as I LOVE both the main actors. But no worries since I won’t remember this movie tomorrow.
    Really boring story. Feels like a commercial director whose focus is visuals rather than storytelling.
    Hubby and wife were in agreement while watching 'The Photograph'. Stella Meghie wrote and directed a nifty and tear inducing romantic drama which jumps back and forth in time and involves two romantic relationships, one in each generation represented on the screen. This is so lovely and delicate. The score is amazing and most of the cast gets a chance to shine in at least one scene. It's terrific and totally worth your time. It's a low start and you'll be in the dark for a good portion of the first act, but when it comes together it totally works. It's a hopeful and patient film. If you are when you watch, you'll be rewarded with a gem! Hubby: 7.1 Wife: 7.0 Final Score: 7.1/10
    This movie was epic! The characters, although beautiful, had a myriad of relatable flaws. The #blacklove was magically and captivating! I hope to see more movies of this caliber! I am rewatching this movie until I learn the words! Already a classic 🖤
    Enjoyable take on the romantic comedy genre. Characters seem realistic and hurdles in plot aren't contrived. I enjoyed how they wove together the parallels of the mother's and daughter's stories.
    Beautifully written, with several emotional twist.
    Issa and LaKeith are good on screen together even if the plot line doesn't take us to any unexpected places. The back story gives this love interest some depth...