The Souvenir

Many frames look like paintings in this movie, but nothing remarkable though, nor anything revolutionary. The story is quite simple in itself, however we don't get much access to the characters' feelings, what a shame ! Music is used quite poorly even though it is nearly absent from the movie
    A very poor bored movie that really doesn't say all that much. If you have an hour and a half to kill, this movie might just be for you, but it wasn't for me, which is why I rate it *1* stars!!
    Hogg paints what she knows; clipt, brooding, beautiful aristocrats who know their rules and the need for secrets, stiff upper lip and the need to quietly stray. Here two bright young things find their way in life and to a neatly suppressed authentic voice. Hogg makes the clearly autobiographical point through Julie, joining film school, aspiring to give authentic voice to the people of Sunderland she's never met (but has photographed some art conceptual work there), and sets up this pretence to be ridiculed. Julie's counterpoint is Anthony, who knows who he is and his voice. Dressed in a wonderful heirloom dressing gown, perfect suits, bow ties and cuff links at all times; he's foreign office old school with a proper old school habitual heron addiction, as one does; a Patrick Melrose for the diplomatic corps. The heroin provides the mild tragedy in this otherwise comforting world, a world where Julie's film teacher knows she doesn't have to think about budgets. It's beautiful, arrogant and libertarian; who doesn't want to be found passed away in the toilets by the Wallace Collection?
    Pretentious twaddle. The whole thing is just very beige - nobody says or does anything interesting. The courting couple are unconvincing - why would anyone be interested in them? They just mumble a lot of the sort of pseudo-intellectual piffle that you'd be unlucky to hear at a 'stayed-up-all-night-first-year-of-uni' experience. Very tedious.
    Some beautiful, heartwarming moments but ultimately a movie that misses making an impact. An anticlimactic story with a promising premise. Hogg clearly made this to be autobiographical in nature. I'm sure it's meaningful to her but not to the world. I would pass
    Tiresome cliché. Excruciating and obvious script coupled with awkward acting makes this movie one to remember for all the wrong reasons.
    God awful. Director Joanna Hogg presents a pretty but stunningly dull and dreary autobiographical coming-of-age story about a privileged film student trying to make meaningful film about real people and, instead, becoming involved with a male friend/lover who consumes her life. The director seems to have come to believe her own story, in the end, has worth but she fails to persuade the viewer. The supposedly charismatic, irresistible man, played by Tom Burke, is an unappealing sad sack always borrowing money, blaring his opera through the apartment and tearing down the talent of the film student while seemingly doing nothing of value himself. There certainly could have been some material here to make the audience empathetic to the protagonist but instead it comes off as a pretentious film experiment (improv can work but is completely inane in this case) that she should have kept to herself and her group of pretentious film friends. And there is a sequel???!!! God no.
    The quiet, reflective moments throughout this film speak so loudly and ultimately make this as memorable and impactful as it is. The overall story is something we've seen a lot in various ways, but Joanna Hogg captures a distinct, melancholic feel to it that never feels similar to those other films involving drug addiction and abusive relationships. I am also pretty impressed at how they made this look like it was actually made in the 80s. Not speaking about its set decoration or wardrobe, but the actual feel of the medium with authentic noise to the image, lighting and static camera angles that feel like it could be an Eric Rohmer or Whit Stillman piece to some degree. Can't wait to see the sequel which I hear is better!
    Achei o tão desprezível que quase não consegui sentir empatia e simpatia pelo casalzinho… O filme é lento, quase aleatório em seu início, mas vai conquistando gradualmente, se tiver paciência suficiente para superar o tédio inicial, pensando bem, o ritmo lento, poético, encenado, continua meio extenuante até o seu desfecho final, melancólico e triste…
    Professional critic's remarks are frequently related to earlier works by some author, director, actor. Comparing qualities of a current project with a previous project. Is this undertaking better or worse? But I'm usually not familiar with 'that person's' previous work. Nothing to make a comparison with. All I have is what is on the screen before me. In 'The Souvenir', I found the characters poorly developed, the plotline sagging and the pace insufferably slow.