The Tax Collector

, 17% Rotten Tomatometer Score
  • A taxing and ill-advised crime drama, The Tax Collector fails to accrue much meaningful interest.
    Richard RoeperChicago Sun-Times
    What possessed Shia LaBeouf to get a massive tattoo for this underachieving gangster film?
    Ignatiy VishnevetskyAV Club
    If one is going to make something this cliché, though, they should at least try to do a good job.
    Eric KohnindieWire
    David's a family man who never asked to play a central role in this story. By the end of "The Tax Collector," it's hard to blame him.
    Carlos AguilarLos Angeles Times
    One of the most atrocious viewing experiences of the year, "The Tax Collector" relies on a trite visual language built on obvious flashbacks and bland imagery that match the unimaginatively dreadful writing where every Latino in sight is a gangster.
    Steve PondTheWrap
    It trots out a lot of posturing and a lot of gang-movie clichés but flails instead of giving us much reason to care.
    Jeannette CatsoulisNew York Times
    We've all seen "The Sopranos," and we won't get fooled again.
    Justin BrownMedium Popcorn
    Rather entertaining...but they didn't deliver backstory for these characters, which would have served the narrative later on...
    Brandon CollinsMedium Popcorn
    I thought this was going to be pretty solid...and after the first twenty minutes, I knew I was trapped. It was weird, knowing the context of Shia and his body tattoo...
    Rosa ParraShuffle Online
    The quick editing and awkwardly shot angles make this film messy, and it takes away any emotional potential it had. Its one-dimensional villain, Conejo, comes off as a comical caricature that's frustrating to watch.
    Carey-Ann PawseyOrca Sound
    It is alright to make a film using a well worn film idea, what is not acceptable is that you do not instill that framework with something extraordinary. Something to separate it from the others.