The Teachers' Lounge

If you want a good review don’t end the movie like an idiot.
    A frustrating watch for those of us in the teaching profession. So many ‘things’ wrong on multiple levels. Perhaps experience and procedures/processes of high school teaching in the UK and Australia differs markedly from that in Germany? The film in itself has some commendable performances by the young actors playing Oskar and Ali, but the adults, apart from the lead, are woeful. A cringeworthy watch at best.
    Fantastic acting and story. Really impressive how they create tension with a simple thing.
    Weird movie. Ending sucks because you never find out who the thief is.
    Engaging throughout with realistic depictions of a German highschool. However the ending felt abrupt and disappointing
    The objective of this film was to carry out a social experiment, analyzing the reactions of citizens in an environment of paranoia. The problem is that the actions guiding the plot were all implausible, generating an implausible environment, which makes the experiment unprofitable and the film uninteresting. Which is a shame, because the acting, sets and other technical aspects were great.
    The school as a microcosm of social tensions, with infantile exhibitionism of adults and adolescents, a prelude to a silenced and mafia-like attitudes to demolish the authority principle. The writing on the wall "veritas omnia vincula vincit" is high symbolic: the wild bubch does not want the truth, but to forward his own truth, which serves to demolish laws, norms and rules.
    Fassende Geschichte, die anregt weiter zu denken aber ein unangenehmes Ende aufweist. Die Geschichte fühlt sich nicht richtig zuende geführt. Trotz alledem eine tolle Kameraführung und solide Storyline.
    *sigh* I want to like this more than I did. It's certainly engaging. But it feels pretty implausible. There are so many wrong turns by these adults and there seems to be no voice of reason aside from our main character, who is unfortunately an easy mark, and an unconvincingly acted one at that. Perhaps it's just Leonie Benesch's own vibe coming through -- who I think is an excellent actor by the way (shout out to Babylon Berlin) -- and how easily the character gets herself into increasingly worse spots doesn't square with the sense of strength I see in her. Something about it feels incongruent, and it could just be a poor casting job, Benesch's talents duly noted. One thing that didn't feel incongruent, is how fabulously she captures the tension and stress of the situation. The anxiety is embodied. But again, there was a dissonance between the actor and the role that didn't work for me. The character seemed too reasonable, intelligent, and capable to allow this to get so out of hand. The score was great at helping carry the tension and I know I'll remember this film, but in general something about it felt off for me. And it's not just the aforementioned casting mismatch. Let's talk about the ending, if you can even call it that. Really, the writers simply failed to write one. It feels like such a cop out final scene. The story was too far away from a conclusion, with too many strands left to untangle, to simply pull the "up to the viewer's interpretation" move. Ending the way it did was quite anticlimactic, as the tension felt like it was building to something catastrophic or traumatic. Perhaps we're too accustomed to shock value and colossal moments, but this really felt like almost a pointless story to tell in the end, without something eventful to show for it.
    Is it a social commentary on how we treat each other in today's society? A class on how to handle - or not handle - a situation with no good solutions? Whatever it is, Leonie Benesch gives a pitch-perfect performance as a teacher new to a school who tries to solve a problem, only to have it go horribly, horribly wrong. If nothing else, it's an excellent allegory on how any social system can quickly break down in today's quick-to-judge-social-media-instant-analysis-facts-don't-really-matter world.