The Truth

, 88% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • The Truth may not stand with Hirokazu Kore-eda's best work, but it finds the writer-director revisiting familiar themes with a typically sensitive touch.
    Sara StewartBook & Film Globe
    The Truth has flaws, and it feels small-screen to me, although I suppose that's true of every movie that comes out right now. But Catherine Deneuve is a total delight as the fabulous, frank Fabienne.
    Ty BurrBoston Globe
    Using compassion and the slightest touch of syrup, Kore-eda brings his characters to a place where they realize with shock that they're finally on the same page.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Amy NicholsonFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It feels like Koreeda used his awesome clout to make the kind of standard picture that we get a dozen of every year.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Christy LemireFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It's gentle and a little wistful... It's fine, which is not what you expect to say with the people involved, but I enjoyed it.
    Lidija HaasThe New Republic
    The new film returns to some of Kore-eda's favorite themes of responsibility, legacy, and the fluidity of roles between parents and children.
    Karen HanPolygon
    The Truth is an unassuming picture, but like Fabienne, it leaves a lasting impression.
    John SerbaDecider
    A damn good actor's showcase.
    Daniel BarnesDare Daniel
    Japanese filmmaker Hirokazu Kore-eda's playful and thoughtful foray into cinephilia-fueled Franco-existentialism.
    Filipe FreitasAlways Good Movies
    [Koreeda] is normally more interested in conciliate than to set apart.
    Julia SwiftMy Champlain Valley
    Hirokazu Koreeda's first film not in his native Japanese proves directing is about so much more than the dialogue. He knows when to reveal the whole tableau and when to gift us with a close up of master actors Deneuve and Binoche.