The White Crow

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    An interesting biopic of the life of the ballet star Rudolph Nureyev told in a workman-like manner. The film deals with Nureyev's early development and career in Soviet Russia up to his defection while touring in France in the 1960s. There is certainly plenty of material and the story does well to focus on the driven but cool relationship between the mercurial dancer and his quietly understated mentor and teacher Alexander Pushkin. However, I do think it is a shame that it didn't take the story beyond this point and examine what a huge star this man became and the dancing relationship he formed with Margot Fonteyn. Good though this movie is, the traditional and linear telling does miss a trick here and I really would have liked to see more dance. After all, it is what the man was brilliant at and it seems a shame that we don't see some recreations of his most famous works.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    This film is based of off the book Rudolf Nureyev: The Life by Julie Kavanaugh. Nureyev's life is spread out into 3 important parts in this film: His childhood, His training as a dancer, and the start of his foreign performances. In the film you will see that Nureyev is considered a talented dancer, but is often criticized for being undisciplined. This shows in his escapades in Paris, because he puts the KGB through their paces. The film will probably speak to dancers more than non-dancers.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    So much to do, so much to work on. Art is a game of sacrifice and there goes the head of that very personality. The White Crow With only three and sincere films out, Ralph Fiennes should be on your list just as it is mine, if you wish to sober up with a film. He has explored various subjects, heavy subjects in these films. Something that is not usually advised or even dared. Yet, post three successful films- successful as in they're good- Fiennes remains barely high on his skills. And unfortunately that is not a compliment in here. Usually this is a good thing. But as a director you are required to be confident in your material, your characters, your film. And what is at loss here is the attention of the audience. You have to be in command of those two hours as soon as the lights shut down and the magic begins. What is happening now, is that the audience finds itself promising for a truce to meet the storyline, the characters halfway there. That is not a commute I'd like to do. I say commute because I have been through that road a lot. So why and how does Ralph's film still manages to dance at the tip of its toe, the entire show? It is the debates. The arguments, productive and sometimes just thrilling debates, is what seduces you to do the right thing. Or wrong thing. It is personally motivated and emotionally challenged. That is all that matters. Ralph has a spectacular way to move the audience. And for a dance themed film you would assume that it is the razzle dazzle show or the textbook training montages that will swoon you in. But remember the seduction in the film is always wrong and challenged. And so it is in the film The White Crow, not the hardworking nor the pay off, but the leisurous time that it spends more than it earns, is the logic Ralph pursues.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Full disclosure: I attended three live performances featuring Rudi; two in 1967 in SF and the third at the Paris Opera in 1968. In SF both also featured Dame Margot--this was the year they got busted and made the front page of the Chronicle (I still have my copy). The second of these performances was the one that had the famous pair doing a modern piece of the Garden of Eden--Rudi as Adam! Of course since the theater was sold out and times a bit delayed, when the ballet finally started there was a neon sign above the proscenium which began a countdown. The crowd, recognizing the humor behind the double entendre of waiting both for the World to begin and the Dancers to appear, pretty much went nuts.The Paris performance for me was memorable chiefly for my seat, front row, house left. So close I tell people he sprayed sweat on us during pirouettes! I'm obviously biased--I'll watch anything with this subject matter--but as far as the film...I was riveted. But then, I'm deeply into ballet, so, can't speak for others. I cannot give it 5 stars as I don't look for perfection in anything. The youngster who plays young 'Rudik'! Yes! What spirit. And I have had teachers like Pushkin. Lovely people. Finally, I must tell another story: after the SF Swan Lake performance, my mother and I went round to the stage door to get autographs, waiting patiently with the throngs. I had literally just changed places with my mother who wanted also to get her program signed when Rudi sprang to his feet, grabbed my mother by both shoulders and gently moved her aside. He shouted something to an unseen distant person, like 'O! You forgot your pen!' and rushed off to a waiting limousine. We of course knew that he was simply tired of giving autographs...
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Oleg Ivenko does a good job of a difficult subject - how could anyone really be convincing as the inimitable Nureyev? The film kept my interest throughout and was very atmospheric. I'm not sure how accurate it was.
    It was fascinating, and compellingly acted. My teenaged sons, who are normally only interested in Marvel movies, were spellbound.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    The White Crow is a 2018 British film written by David Hare and directed by Ralph Fiennes. I was expecting a stronger narrative and more emotional connection from this movie, but it was still an interesting watch from an historical perspective. The cinematography and settings were superb, and the performances good. D & MC
    Loved the dancing and the storytelling. I really connected with the characters and thought they were aptly and brilliantly portrayed. It's an amazing story and very well told.
    Half Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Sooo bad, like watching paint dry
    This is a truly must see movie. Ralph Fiennes is a genius at all things. The actor in the lead as Nureyev - Igor Ivenko is incredible! All of the actors in fact are stellar. Memorable for all the right reasons!