Tolkien

Watched it on a whim. Was pleasantly surprised. Well acted and visually satisfying period piece with a nice coming of age story. Nothing fancy or groundbreaking, but I found myself invested in it.
    Una de las cosas más difíciles de hacer en una biografía, es ser objetivo y balancear lo bueno y lo malo del personaje en cuestión. En éste caso el director Dome Karukoski logra balancear lo positivo de Tolkien junto con lo raro y excéntrico de su personalidad. Ahora bien, la película nos muestra su vida a través de diferentes lapsos, incluyendo una aletargada y repetitiva vivencia de la primera guerra mundial, donde busca intempestivamente a un soldado con la ayuda de otro llamada Sam (guiño, guiño), y así sucesivamente. Hay momentos muy bellos, otros muy extraños. Si son fanáticos de J.R.R. Tolkien estarán tranquilos con ésta respetuosa visión de su vida y trabajo. Si solamente quieren conocer cómo Tolkien creó el mundo de "The lord of the rings" podrán darse una idea vaga de lo complicado de su vida, y la imaginación imparable de tan venerado escritor.
    Bit disappointed in this one, a Titan of the fantasy genre deserved better than this. Where was the inspiration he got for creating middle earth? He had a fierce imagination but we are given no indication of this, we are shown about his love of languages but what about his love of history in particular Norse mythology that inspired his stories. Also he grew up in the English countryside and had an idyllic childhood where the natural beauty of the land made a big impression on him as a boy, (I've never read an author that so vividly describes natural surroundings like he does) but also virtually no mention of this. Tolkien was quite appalled by how the industrial revolution had impacted the cities and turned men into cogs serving the machine, this was part of the inspiration for Mordor as well I'm guessing by the horrors of WW1, this was also missed. A very dry and clinical biopic, it's like the director read about Tolkien on his Wikipedia page having never read TLOTR and then based a movie on that completely missing the magic and creativity of the author. I'd give this a D as an Oxford professor if one of my students handed this in.
    A beautiful movie, some moments are dull but overall something worth watching
    Tolkien is a period based on J.R.R. Tolkien's life and his inspiration to his middle earth novels. Nicholas Hoult does a good job in portraying Tolkien but there should have been better imagination to show how Tolkien was able to achieve his goals. It was well written with a good cast but overall the flick was okay, it didn't grab much if my attention. Overall the movie was ok nothing memorable it just passed the time.
    Tal vez no debería de haber durado tanto, pero al final la historia de Tolkien se cuenta de manera un tanto satisfactoria como decepcionante.
    I found it to be slow, long, dull, and plodding.
    Tough watch. Moves very slowly. I wanted to enjoy it, but it seems incomplete or badly edited. No discussion on his relationship with C.S. Lewis, which surprised me.
    Not bad by any means, just mis-marketed.
    Tolkien is a biopic on the legendary writer, but you wouldn't guess here that he created the biggest adventure franchise ever. Hoult does well, but there is too much private school banter and no substance. This one isn't precious.