West Side Story

To my surprise, I ended up enjoying this movie more than I expected. I've never been a fan of musicals, and I started watching West Side Story with a negative outlook on how I was going to experience it. However, as the movie went on, I became more and more interested. The dancing and singing scenes seemed less dragged out the more I watched, and I became more interested in the characters. I enjoyed watching the feud between the sharks and the jets, and seeing how different ethnicities handled situations being in the same closed-in area. The crowded city of New York caused both groups to have to interact, and the tension caused by this is clearly displayed. Both group "leaders", Riff and Bernardo, have various tense moments, and you can feel and see the conflict between them. When Tony and Maria meet, its already established that Puerto Ricans and Americans shouldn't have relations. This is a parallel to Romeo and Juliet, where both parties are prohibited to have romantic relations due to family problems. I think every character had an important role in the movie, and everybody played their roles very well. Overall, I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed watching this movie, and even shed a tear near the end.
    West Side Story was a movie that I wanted to finish right away. The movie was very slow in the beginning because nothing was really happening. The jets and the sharks were singing and talking about their life, and then more than halfway into the movie Tony gets killed all of a sudden. It did not feel like it was leading up to it. The actors were good, especially Ansel Elgort and Rachel Zegler. They showed a lot of emotion throughout the scenes, specifically in the scene where Tony thought that Maria had died. That scene had me feel the emotion that he felt. However, the plot was weird, and it felt as if the whole movie was rushed to get the point across. When Maria found out that Tony killed her brother, she was mad and then they made love a few moments later. It all just felt weird and unrealistic. I would understand if she hated her brother, but it was obvious she loved him; it was very alarming. Plus, most of the time, I was confused because it felt as if there needed to be more details/the story explained. Other times, I did enjoy that the movie was similar to Romeo and Juliet in the sense that they both included an unforbidden love even if their families/friends hated the other side. However, it was different because Romeo and Juliet was more depressing while West Side Story was more lively because it was a musical with dancing and singing. Compared to Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story felt like a roller coaster of emotions, and Romeo and Juliet gradually lead up to the moment where they both died. Overall, there were good and bad parts to the movie, but I thought there were more bad parts. I would not rewatch the movie.
    I saw the original and a Broadway revival and I have to say that this was the most emotionally absorbing version I’ve ever seen. Spielberg is a master at knowing when to pan in and when to pan out. The cinematography and sets were exceptional. As one reviewer said, “a puddle of water never looked so good”. I watched the original and didn’t have an emotional reaction to the ending but I DID with the remake. Maybe it was Spielberg’s directing, maybe it was Dudamel’s conducting, maybe it was the exceptional acting? It doesn’t matter.. I LOVED this movie!
    Considering I've never seen the original film from the 1960s, I think this is a really alluring film. The story follows the forbidden love between Tony and Maria, who are very similar to Romeo and Juliet. Their love for each other is so intense it crosses lines it should not. For example, Maria taking Tony back after he murdered her brother was very surprising to see. Also, despite barely knowing each other, being ready to die when being together is not possible is quite shocking. The songs and dance numbers are also very entertaining to experience. It is definitely worth the watch if you like musicals and/or Romeo and Juliet.
    West Side Story (2021) was a great retelling of the original 1961 West Side Story which was a retelling of the Shakespearean play of Romeo and Juliet. The conflict between the Jets and the Sharks and the love between Tony and Maria is a direct parallel to the conflict between the Montague and Capulet houses and the love between Romeo and Juliet. However, a way that West Side Story creates its own distinct narrative is the reasoning behind the animosity between the houses in the first place. While the animosity between the Capulets and the Motesquieu was due to political reasons, the fighting between the Jets and the Sharks were mostly for territory. The Shakespearean houses differ from the gangs in that they are fighting due to tradition. The Jets and the Sharks have no prior tradition to follow as the Jets were only recently created by Tony, and the Sharks have only been created in response to the hostility from the Jets towards the Puerto Rican immigrants. West Side Story (2021) is a great way to introduce younger audiences to older stories such as the "star-crossed lovers" trope. This is a magnificent movie and teachers can use this movie as a way to teach Shakespeare's plays to students who believe that the traditional telling of Romeo and Juliet is tortuous. This movie features action, romance, and catchy songs that make the audience fall even more in love with the characters featured in them. The cinematography is beautiful and the story it tells is compelling. If you have a few hours to spare, it is definitely worth it to watch West Side Story (2021). The only issue I have is one that many have already expressed their disdain for. The casting of Tony is problematic because of the actor's allegations. It is not helped with the character of Tony falling for 18 year old Maria, which is a strange comparison since the actor, Ansel Elgort, was accused of sexually assulting a 17 year old minor when he was 20. The issue of sexual assult was also featured in the West Side Story movie, so it can be easy to feel uncomfortable with the casting decision of Ansel Elgort.
    This movie brings a story from back in the day that resembles gang people not getting along. This movie compared to the old one is kinda not good, because in my opinion the old actually tells you the story and bring more emotions on everything, than the newest one. The newest one does bring emotions but it doesn't really give you aa story or a life lesson just pure emotion.
    This movie was a long movie but it was a movie to sit back and enjoy the musicals. The musicals were so good they made you feel as if you were in the movie. I can't wait for the second part or if not I cant wait to watch this movie again. I highly recommend this movie to any age group and it's a very good movie for ages 15 and up. The summery was very well played I like that the drama of tony killing Maria's brother and maria still loving tony for himself after killing her brother. It was something crazy from a different type of a sene.
    West Side Story is extremely entertaining, well-produced, and includes actors with insane talent and passion for the role they are portraying. West Side Story follows the story of rivaling gangs and their main characters Tony and Maria. Tony and Maria end up falling in love with each other in the middle of a turf war between their gangs as Maria's brother is the leader of one gang and Tony's best friend the leader of the other. The plot closely resembles that of Romeo and Juliet and ends almost in the same manner. While Tony dies, Maria does not. This play pays a large emphasis on Man vs. Man which is best identified as the Sharks vs. Jets and is extremely essential to the plot. Steven Spielberg did an excellent job in producing this classic and makes this story feel relevant and fresh.
    This movie was gorgeous, and so well done. The cinematography and acting were especially the standout points of this movie. The songs were all well done, even if they aren't all as immediately memorable as some musicals. While this isn't something I will probably watch over and over again, I still thought it was really well made.
    Legendary director, Steven Spielberg, tackles the iconic West Side Story. It has a stunning cinematography, an awesome jazzy soundtrack and great performances. Steven injects a classic Romeo and Juliet tale with modern filming style that makes it somehow feel fresh. This remake might actually surpass the original 1961 film. A phenomenal musical and another great film from Steven Spielberg.