What Happens Later

A strange rom com enjoyable if not a tad odd, if you ever find yourself at a loss to watch and come across it there are worst ways to spend your time
    Any poor ratings of this movie were surely made by the young. If by a slim chance you are over 45 -50 and still couldn’t see the beautiful irony, I feel immensely sorry for you. You should make a date to watch it again in 10 years….review again
    I love silly romantic comedies, particularly Meg Ryan romantic comedies... but so sorry to say, this one stinks to high heaven, because it's not a romantic comedy at all. The conversations between these two people are all about two former lovers being forced to hang out together in an airport during a story. They rehash their old fights, and feel the old spark, but end up parting as friends. It could have been a beautifully bitter sweet story that we could all connect with. But instead, the script shoehorns in a bunch of romantic comedy tropes, cutesy poo lyrical interludes with obnoxiously cutesy poo music, and a 'magical announcer' who seems to be some kind of voice of god who can sense their inner thoughts. Those elements are so silly, unbelievable and tooth-rottingly sweet, and are at such odds with the realistic relationship of these two people, that they undermine all dramatic potential. The announcer voice was so jarringly unrealistic and magical, that I kept thinking that it would be revealed that they are actually dead, and this 'airport' is really in the afterlife, and god, the announcer, is giving them a chance to reconnect before moving on. But alas, that's not what's happening at all. The godlike voice is never explained, so it just seems like a cynical attempt to touch our hearts. But another reason this doesn't work is that David Duchovny is in it, and his cynical, sarcastic personality just made me feel like the whole movie is just two actors getting together to make a few bucks from their recognizable faces, rather than two characters living their lives. That plane exhaust heart at the end was the worst. My review: Blech!.
    I can't say why but it touched my heart,
    I loved this movie. It showed caring and compassion.
    It started out kind of slow but then it continued to be slow and then it stayed slow and after 15 minutes of waiting for it to become interesting I quit and loaded the latest Nicholas Cage movie into my DVD player.
    I want the 1 hour and 44 minutes of my life back :(
    I really liked this film. Meg Ryan’s first film back in about 9 years and also directs. Ryan and David ducovany have good chemistry and Although the whole film is set in an airport the story of Willa and bill confronting their past relationship is a fantastic watch. great performances by both actors who pull you in to their characters worlds.
    I actually thought this was very charming. Like a little play starring two icons of the 90s.
    “What Happens Later” is the second film directed by actress Meg Ryan, who also writes the screenplay here together with Kirk Lynn and Steve Dietz (it is based on an interesting play by the latter). Meg Ryan (s) mythologises, overturns or evolves, in a bitter and disillusioned way, the idea of 90s romantic comedies (even her famous comedies), making a story in which she fully reflects herself personal. The screenplay, between tears and smiles, reflects on what happens when the years pass and those old comedies become the reverberation of a very distant happiness; on what happens when love stops burning; about what happens when the dream ends and your youth is lost too. “What Happens Later” is a sort of "showdown", of an individual/sentimental balance sheet, characterized by melancholy and regret, because the choices made will have a retrospective impact whose weight and lightness will be felt. The film oscillates between moments of a classic romantic comedy and more serious and reflective moments, without the two tonal components of the story reaching real harmony, without these being amalgamated properly. However, on the other hand, the fragility of this work also becomes its strong point. Furthermore, the pair of actors, Meg Ryan and David Duchovny, are attractive and believable. Some dialogues are engaging. However, some aesthetic and narrative choices are much less effective. In conclusion, overall a film that is not entirely successful, but with its own dignity and a romantic and "magical" soul, full of poignant tenderness and melancholy that excites in its own way. Rating (in tenths): 5.50 / 6