Who We Are: A Chronicle of Racism in America

, 98% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • Who We Are: A Chronicle of Racism in America offers a stirring and persuasive reckoning with a subject that's as fundamental as it is highly charged.
    Adam GrahamDetroit News
    "Who We Are" comes at a time of racial reckoning in America and its message deserves to be heard loud and clear, but its impact is dulled by the flat presentation from directors Emily and Sarah Kunstler.
    Michael O'SullivanWashington Post
    Robinson’s quasi-TED Talk is both broad-ranging and deep, covering a history that is political, legal, cultural, economic, psychological, emotional, moral and, in the end, also profoundly personal.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Sarah-Tai BlackGlobe and Mail
    Suffers from the inherent banality that comes with watching a recording of someone – no matter how charismatic – speaking to a live audience we are not part of.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Christy LemireFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It gets its arms around a really complicated topic very efficiently, but in a way that is also thorough and surprisingly emotional.
    Joe MorgensternWall Street Journal
    The film's content isn't ritual at all. It's one man's answer, eloquent and heartfelt, to the challenge of reframing our discussion of a subject that has us numb from repetition.
    Peter DebrugeVariety
    An engaging and essential essay film that makes its points clearly, backed by evidence, for those open-minded enough to consider their education incomplete.
    Peter MartinDallasFilmNow.com
    A compelling film that deserves the attention of anyone who has a heart. And a head.
    Robert DenersteinDenerstein Unleashed
    The point: We must look at the ugliest piece of American history and acknowledge that we're responsible for facing it -- even if we didn't create it.
    Beth AccomandoKPBS.org
    Robinson's tone throughout is calm and reasoned, even when speaking with a white Southerner holding a Confederate flag and insisting the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery.
    Douglas LamanThe Spool
    This documentary is no easy watch, but Who We Are does prove to be a stirring and necessary one.